Well, I cut up another student's shirt with my scissors today!

Actually, I do this often (go after my students with scissors). In fact, the school office keeps a “special” pair of scissors on hand; just for the teachers to cut shirttails. (All the pilot dopers are nodding and smiling right now :stuck_out_tongue: )

If you’ll bear with me thru a short history lesson: In the earliest days of flying; flight training was done in open cockpits in a tandem arrangement (instructor behind the student). These aircraft were Loud. So loud that the student could not hear his instructor shouting to gain his attention. Since the instructor faced the back of the student’s seat, he would yank on his apprentice’s shirttail to alert him to mistakes, etc. Once a student had solo’ed his airplane, the instructor cut off his shirttail as a symbolic ritual to signify his independence, and welcome him as a pilot. This ritual continues today.
And so today, I got to cut another student’s shirttail. What’s unusual about today, is that particular shirttail belonged to my son. If I may be permitted to publicly brag on my kid…Here’s a pic of Texas’ newest pilot, as of a few hours ago.

Good job pullinSon. :smiley:

(Woot!)

Congrats to you and mostly to pullenSon! I am jelous and impressed! Good going.
Remember, there’s old pilots and bold pilots…

…but no old, bold pilots. :slight_smile:

One time, when I asked a couple why they’d picked an old grey-haired man to teach their kid, they responded that they wanted me to teach him how to grow old while being a pilot. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry about all the smilies, but it’s all smiles in the pullin household. (must… resist… adding another smilie). Aaaaugh! :stuck_out_tongue:

I have no objections to the smilies. You must be very proud.

Hearty congratulations to all involved.

Upon rereading, I should clarify. You must be very proud of your son. Not of your smilies. :stuck_out_tongue:

Congrats to your son, and to you for getting him through it! And now, can you come here with a plane and teach me to fly? I have no money, but damn would I ever love to learn! Maybe someday…

First, congratulations to all involved in creative clothing destruction. :smiley:

I had an opportunity to fly in one of those ancient open cockpit tandems last fall.

They are STILL loud!

Since my shirttail had already been trimmed, my tandem instructor had to be content with the occassional whack on the head or shoulder. I suppose I should be happy he didn’t tug on my 3 feet of braids, or feel compelled to celebrate my independence with scissors (it takes a long time to grow that much hair!)

Og, I still remember my first solo in vivid detail. It is great that he made this milestone and even more so that your son is learning from you. Where are you guys flying that your not getting bugs on the windscreen?

Hi everybody. I thought this thread had sunk, until I logged on today. Thanks again for the congrats (I’ll pass 'em on).

memosyne: Wish we could come up there (and had a plane, etc. etc.) to teach you. pullinSon is ready to leave now (any flight any time… he just wants to go).

Broomstick: Thanks for posting. I remember getting whacked on the head by a rolled up sectional (more than once). At one time I had an “expressive” CFI. :rolleyes:

GusNSpot: We’re flying at GKY (Arlington, TX). It’s been so dry this summer all the bugs have died off. FWIW: It’s been raining all day today, and pullinSon has been gazing at the sky morosely. Ya’ll know the drill. :slight_smile:

Here’s a pic of the area (from the 172) a few days ago. Just for fun, can any of you Doperpilot’s see what’s wrong in the picture? :stuck_out_tongue:

I think I spotted a couple but you were too busy teaching pullin-son to come back and see the post. he he he

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?p=7725879&postcount33

Thank you for sharing that. I had no idea such a custom existed. And congratulations to your son. Not many people can do a job where such perfection is not only expected but crucial.

Gaaah. I have got to keep better track of threads. :smack:

Yes, you were right GusNSpot, it was the vaccuum guage. I let the flight continue to see how he would handle it (he caught it, but was a little taken aback when the AI started listing to port later). Sorry I didn’t see your reply to that earlier thread.

Thanks BobLibDem, I’ll pass on the congratulations. :slight_smile: (I wonder if we should start a thread asking about strange customs involved with people’s hobbies/avocations?)

You know, that’s a really interesting idea. Ask and ye shall receive