"Well, Well, Indiana Jones." South Park season premiere (open spoilers)

Well that was a half hour of completely unfunny ranting. The take on the tendency for some people to compare a movie to rape could have been clever but they didn’t really do anything with it other than snicker about rape. The Chinese plot could have been funny only nothing really happened. It was easily one of their worst episodes.

At first, I was thinking “It’ll turn out that there really IS a big Chinese plot to take over America”, and I was sort of dreading that, because I felt like that kind of twist has been done a lot. But then there wasn’t any twist at all … it was twistless. Completely twist-free.

Now I wish the lame re-tread idea I had was in there. At least it would have been something.

“You don’t shoot a guy in the dick,” is pretty quotable, though.

I think your sympathy is misplaced. I don’t think they’re out of touch; I think they wanted to score some quick money using a successful character, but didn’t want to invest in a coherent plot or stoyline. Because, that might cost them money. They’d rather slap something together with lots of cheap CGI effects and just sit back and collect the dough. I thought the episode was great as a piece of social commentary. I do agree, it was not laugh-a-minute.

“Weeeak.”

I doubt there’s any way short of telepathy to prove it, but I stick by what I say. I think they have more money than they could ever spend and they genuinely want to entertain children. Why else would they put Walkie Talkies in E.T.? Why else would Spielberg have made Bloom Blox?

when they finally showed what the hell stan was all upset about (the rape of indy) I laughed out loud for real…but that was an over all really weak episode. its pretty bad when Butters shooting guys in the dick is the best part of the show.

Butter’s Chinese disguise was the best part.

I knew it was going to be about the rape of Indiana going in. I didn’t expect them to do a “no one wants to admit what happened” type story line. That was pretty clever.

Spielberg, maybe, but it’s hard to square an altruistic desire to entertain with the commercial juggernaut Lucas has turned the Star Wars franchise into. The games (over which Lucas exerts considerable control) are the best proof, to my mind. They seem to be entertaining only by accident, and are frequently rushed out without the slightest concern for whether they’re actually finished or not (ironically, they do this most often to the ones that are actually half-decent, like the KOTOR series). This doesn’t indicate a great deal of respect for the audience.

A misguided desire to entertain wouldn’t result in this constant stream of barely-considered crud. It’s clear exploitation. Consider the sheer overwhelming weight of special editions, re-releases, remixes, boxed sets and so forth that have been released; how are those entertaining children any more than the originals already did? The answer is that they’re not; they’re soaking the wallets of the chumps who collect that sort of thing.

To make a lot of money? It’s unclear how much input Spielberg had on Boom Blox, but it looks more like a celebrity endorsement than anything else to me. I may be wrong and he was up all night wrangling with the Wii SDK, but I’d say he is collaborating with EA because they are paying him a lot of money, and they are paying him a lot of money because his name will sell games. How Spielbergian can a regular block-based puzzle game be?

I finally got around to watching it- as someone who saw Speed Racer & Indy 4 on the same day and immensely preferred SR, I thought it was well deserved. I also expected that there would really be a Chinese plot.

One nitpick- Lucas & Spielberg should have been raping Darth Vader when the police burst in.

Excellent call!

Well i just got done watching indy 4 and im with Butters, i didn’t think it was so bad.

Yeh . . . but the Indiana Jones series is a retread of Saturday matinees made in the period when it’s set, and the Star Wars films are derivative of samurai films and Westerns and WWII movies. Can’t anybody make adventure film that’s really original?