We're headed to Montreal and speak no French. Problem?

If you are driving: You will be fine with birth certificate and picture ID. Basically, you are doing an oral declaration of your citizenship. The only hangup is if you have a rental car or are borrowing a car from someone else. You need special permission from the owner to take the vehicle across the border.

The passport is not needed yet, but it is coming soon to a border near you!

Cite:
Proposed Timeline for Implementation for Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative Requirements
The travel initiative requirements will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed implementation timeline is as follows:

December 31, 2005 – Passport or other accepted document required for all travel (air/sea) to or from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Central and South America.

December 31, 2006 – Passport or other accepted document required for all air and sea travel to or from Mexico and Canada.

December 31, 2007 – Passport or other accepted document required for all air, sea and land border crossings.

Just for future reference’s sake, I’ve gotten along fine in places from Vienna to Vientiane, and Oslo to Osaka, with only speaking English. (I’ll put aside China and my Chinese for the moment.) No matter where you go, there is always someone who speaks English. And even when there is nobody around, everyone speaks Hand Gestures.

We’re not driving, we’re flying. We have no plans to rent or borrow (Say, Jacques, mind if we borrow your Citroen?) a car.

From the U.S. Department of State:

You should be just fine. My ex-boyfriend has lived in Montreal (the English-speaking area near McGill University) for six years now, and still doesn’t speak French (he is ashamed of it, but has little skill in learning languages). In those years I think he’s only had a few situations where speaking little French caused problems.

It also obviously depends on the areas you’ll be in. The areas that most tourists visit, you should have no problems with. Have fun, it’s a great city!

Don’t worry if you don’t have a passport. Not a requirement (yet). It does speed things up the customs and boarding process, but it’s not a deal breaker. Just don’t forget your other ID!

Don’t some airlines require passports for US-Canada flights? Customs doesn’t, but I thought I’d heard of some people getting stuck because the airlines wouldn’t let them on. Maybe I’m imagining things.

While I guess this is getting redundant, I think I’m the first Montrealer in this thread. You’ll be fine. Most people are at the very least functionally bilingual, and everyone who works in a service position will be able to help you in English. Words on signs are in French (and English too, sometimes), but are usually fairly obvious no matter what language they’re in.

I hope you have a lovely time up here!

TAKE A PASSPORT!
(Sorry I didn’t mean to yell)
Most airlines (read every single one I have flown between the states and Canada) require a passport to get on the plane.
Canada might let you get in without one, but the airline is not going to take a chance, and will require a passport before they allow you board the plane.

The weird thing about Montreal , at least the last time I was there , was that all the Cab (taxi) drivers spoke english , which really blew me away(try and find a cab driver in Toronto that speaks english).

Anywhooo , a nice place to visit is a little street at the corner of St Laurent and something or other , lol , basically its a brick street that has lots of out door cafes and where you can do that left bank thing.

My knowledge of Montreal is so pathetic , I feel a visit is in order to fight ignorance and enjoy night clubs the way it should be enjoyed.

Declan

Sounds like Prince-Arthur street, but outdoor cafes (not counting terrasses, which are something else) can be found all over town. They are not limited to that street.

The closest intersection was st lauraunt and rene leveque , but the actual street was off of st lauraunt (sp)

Declan

It has been a while, but down on the river front, in a lower level of a converted wear house there was a not-all-that-expensive restaurant where I got the BEST piece of beef I have ever had – a peppered rib steak. I was just wonderful. It has been 20 years and I still salivate about it. If you find the place, if they are still in business, don’t hesitate.

We felt perfectly secure walking the main streets at all hours. That of course was in the middle of the stand-off with the Iroquois (pronounced Ear-ah-quah, by the locals) and the town and our hotel was overrun with NWMP and Quebec Security.

Have a great time. No need to speak French.

Say what? I live in Toronto, and every cab driver I’ve ever encountered has spoken English.

Mind you, sometimes they have an accent, but so do half the other people I deal with…

Anyway, back to Montréal. Regrettably, Citroëns are not sold in Canada, but you could rent a Smart car. :slight_smile: Ask matt_mcl to introduce you to the Metro. (Apparently one of the stations has one of the few original Paris Art-Nouveau entrances outside France. And the architecture of the Metro is fascinating.)

And my friends have told me about that steak place. One of these summers we’re going to get there.

[sub]must… go back…[/sub]

The NWMP haven’t been around since 1904. Just how old are you?!?

At the airport check-in, the first thing they ask for was my passport. If you’re doing electronic check-in, you will be prompted for your passport number. This was for a United flight connecting with Air Canada. I didn’t see any wiggle room during the check-in process. When you cross the border at customs, again, the passport comes out. When you return to the U.S., passport again. Everyone on my flight had their passports. I’m not saying you must have your passport on you; I’m only passing along first-hand knowledge. I can only imagine the delays I would’ve gone through without a passport.

See if you can stay over Monday, because the pride parade is the 25th. I can’t recommend it highly enough.

Oh yes, and enjoy my website at http://www.metrodemontreal.com/ .

Doperealers – want to meet up to celebrate UrbanChic’s arrival?

Thanks so much for all the replies, recommendations and advice. You guys are great. Except for you. And you. And you’re on the fence. But the rest of you are great.

I’d arrange to meet some of you, but el hubbo wants us to just enjoy each other and not commit to meeting other people.

matt_mcl, what time does the parade start?

Then who were those guys? Mounties? Musical ride? Shoot you on the slightest provocation? Not Dudley Do-right or Nelson Edie? No more Sergeant Preston and his Wonder Dog, King? No more “You’re under arrest in the name of the Crown?”

Still the best piece of beef I’ve ever had. Don’t tell me it was cheval! :eek:

The Northwest Mounted Police became the Royal Northwest Mounted Police in '04, and then the Royal Canadian Mounted Police in '20. RCMP is the acronym you’re looking for, though “Mounties” is perfectly acceptable as well. Though I don’t recall them playing a huge role at Oka. I thought it was all Surete until the moved the army in.