We're headed to Montreal and speak no French. Problem?

Probably.

The Mounties (RCMP - Royal Canadian Mounted Police) are an evolution of the NWMP.

The North West Mounted Police weren’t particularly known for their accomplishments in Quebec. :stuck_out_tongue:

Eight PM.

I know nothing of French or Canada, but I can help you with the stick name, which should be le baton. My article is probably wrong, I just know Baton Rouge is named Red Stick after something weird.

Sorry I can’t be of more assistance!

Its an exageration , but not by much. I grew up in Toronto , so I have used a variety of cab companys over the years.

Declan

When I was in Montreal many years ago (1998), there were a couple of places that did walking tours of the city. They had desks in the Tourist Information building. The one I took was fun, with a nice walk through the city and the guide pointing out historical and architectural parts of the city.

If you get to the Old Town, down by the river, plan a dinner at Modavie on rue St-Paul. Great informal atmosphere, impeccable French cooking (especially lamb), fantastic wine list, nightly jazz (no cover), and very very nice people. (They ought to send a few Québecoises to Paris as waitresses and show 'em how it’s really done.)

It looks like we’re going to miss it. I should be back in my house by 8 on Monday.

Thanks for the suggestion, Beware of Doug. We definitely want to go to a French restaurant that serves foie gras. Do you know if that is on their menu?

Wide selections of pate are available at the Atwater Market, recommended above.

Yum. I think we’re going to go there the first day we get there. Our flight gets in pretty early and the hotel room won’t be available until the afternoon.

*Foie Gras * for breakfast?..

Make sure you get it with a bagel. Bagels are another Montreal specialty. Trust me. Have some Montreal bagels.

Others have recommended the traditional attractions. But if you’re looking for something different, go to the Argo Bookstore on St Catherine.

I was there yesterday, and I swear to God, the guy who works there has the biggest nose I’ve ever seen.

I like bookstores and I really want to see the big schnoz. But how do I know if this guy works on weekends? It’s not as if I can call and ask if the dude sportin’ a big honker’s on duty or not.

…Although… Maybe if I learn to ask in French I can make it sound all classy-like.

All I can say is that it’s worth the trip. Seriously, this thing was huge. And lumpy. And when he moved it wobbled.

I seem to recall it. However, Modavie isn’t a strictly French place; it maintains a fairly varied, but strongly French-flavored menu. For old-school French cooking you’ll want Bonaparte, across the old town, also excellent.

I found it difficult to go too far wrong eating in Montreal. Even simple places take pride in their food.

Awesome, thanks.

Incidently, take a look at the camera we bought for our trip, folks. It’s super light, super small and super cool!