Were no movies made in Chicago while Richard J. Daley was mayor?

Interesting to hear how Hizzonor’s standards affected the movie industry’s use of Chicago… One puzzlement - Bullitt, a film made there? Didn’t realise Chicago was hilly enough to stand in for San Francisco… Or did they shuttle the production halfway across the country just to shoot the chase scene on the real streets?

Link to Column: http://chicago.straightdope.com/sdc20091015.php

A key exception would be Arthur Penn’s 1965 Mickey One with Warren Beatty, which included locations throughout Chicago, many of them deliciously seedy, with the highlight the planned self destruction of an art work mounted in the skating rink of Marina City, complete with the fire being put out by what by every visual indication are real Chicago firemen with a real Chicago fire truck. How they pulled that one off, I have no idea.

Welcome to the Straight Dope Message Boards, greygeek55, we’re glad you’re here. I’ve added a link to your post, to save other readers searching time (and potential confusion in future when the column in question isn’t so readily viewable.)

It seems to me that Bullitt – which I just watched a few days ago – doesn’t have any filming that’s obviously Chicago – except for a shot of the Sun-Times/Daily News building that is now Trump’s tower. I figured that the shot of that building was stock footage, and the rest of the movie was filmed in San Francisco…

But anyway…I know that Hershell Gordon Lewis’s Blast-Off Girls was filmed in Chicago, and I wouldn’t doubt he didn’t have a permit, knowing his movie-making ethics (and lack thereof).