Two years ago I nearly lost my son (at the time just under 16). He complained of a sore throat on a Friday night. No big, we’ll keep track of it. Saturday night, still sore, some minor swelling on his neck. Well, that’s a new symptom, so said we’d check in w/doctor on Monday. Sunday am, much worse, so we co to the redi-care.
They find he’s got Mono, give him a shot of steroids to reduce the swelling in his neck, send him home w/painkillers and cautions about ‘opportunistic infections’.
Monday feeling better, Tuesday evening, starts running a fever, swelling in his neck has returned. Go back to redi-care (ie not wait to see family doc in am), he’s got strep, too. they prescribe some antibiotics that are about 6 inches long, 3 inches wide and dry as chaulk (I may be exaggerating a tad). They tell me to come back/call family doctor in 48 hours if he’s not better.
I called after 12 hours. and again after 18. They kept urging me to hold off, give the antibiotics a chance to work. Finally, about 22 hours after he was seen by the dweeb at the redi care, I talked to family doc, “he can’t even swallow enough to take his meds, has had 2 popsicles in the past 10 hours”. He told me to take him to the ER, and he’d call ahead to get him admitted.
At the ER, they hooked him up to antibiotics, steroids, fluids, morphine etc, came by said ‘we’re going to admit him after we run a few more tests’. ANother test goes by, 'we’re going to admit him to the INtensive care ward, since the tests show that the swelling from the mono on the outside of his neck, coupled w/the swelling from the strep on the inside of his throat have comprimised his airway, they’re not sure that the meds will take hold before it closes off completely, & they’d be able to do an immediate tracheotomy at the ICU. Some more time goes by and then they say they’re waiting for a surgeon to come and evaluate him to see if he needs immediate surgury (3 am).
FInally admitted to the ICU, they had to wake him to start him breathing again a couple of times. At this point, it was still less than 48 hours after we’d last been seen. Had I listened to /abided by that doctor’s assesment, my son wouldn’t be here.
He was in ICU til Saturday. Then, after 4 days of intervenous antibiotics, morphine drip, steroids, fluids, they sent us home w/ no prescriptions…