I understand more or less how tides work – the moon pulls on the water (sort of), causing a swell along a meridian (and the opposite meridian as well). As the Earth spins, this swell gathers up along a coast, causing high water. As the Earth continues to spin, this water is pulled across dry land, causing massive flooding and…
OK, maybe I don’t fully understand it. Anyway, the water abates. 12 hours later, it rises again. This 12 hour cycle is delayed a bit each time because the moon itself is in orbit. But at any rate, tides are more or less predictable, as one can guess that if there was a high tide at noon today, there will be one tomorrow at around 11:10 am.
This is all well and good for the East coast. But what about the West? I understand that since all that water has to get around two continents, things get a little weird. So much so that tide clocks are pretty useless.
So how do tides work in, say, Santa Monica? Or what about the Gulf? Or what about, say, the East coast of GB?