Westerners, does using an "Asian Squat" in public make you self-conscious?

What exactly is a Western squat? One heel raised to support the butt?

And yes, squatting does make me self-conscious - and I’m Asian. Probably because I’m Asian and I hate conforming to stereotypes.

What are you all talking about? I’ve never heard of an ‘Asian Squat’ in my life! (And half my family’s Asian - Phillipino, Japanese, Malaysian and Indian, though personally I’m just a WASP). Must be an American thing. How is it any different to a normal squat, and why is it called an Asian Squat?

To explain, to those who don’t feel like watching the video.

The western squat is when you squat on your toes. The asian version is when you spread your feet wider and have your heels on the ground. You get more balance, but still just as uncomfortable on the knees as the western squat IMO. Plus my hip popped when I just tried this.

Ah, see, that’s what I’ve always thought of as an everyday squat.

(Can’t watch the video as I try to avoid making my sickly geriatric machine do any more work than strictly necessary).

Forgot to say, thanks for the explanation!

I never really thought about squating much, and don’t find a whole lot of use for it, But when I squat I guess I naturally move into my(totally untrained) attempt at a baseball catcher squat from when I was a kid. Feet wide, crotch open and rolling back and forth from the toes to the heel, if that makes since.

Is this some sort of a strange American term? Do Americans squat much, for that matter? What? WHAT?

I’m in the twilight zone here, folks.

I rarely squat. But sometimes I’ll be waiting for a bus and if I’ve been standing around for awhile, there are no seats available but the ground and I don’t want to get my pants dirty I’ll use it just to change my position. Although usually I pace.

I can say that the squat is most certainly not a good idea if you have hemorrhoids. I routinely squat when putting socks and shoes on my grandfather, and I’ve had 2 fairly bad flare ups since. Now I have to bend at the waist, which kills my back. Better than having a sore bunghole, though.

chaoticdonkey- I thought this thread was about public bathrooms in Asia. :smack:

Squating is very common when doing things like looking over the lower part of a magazine rack, retrieving an item from a low shelf, or fishing your car keys out from under the front seat. It’s also handy in situations where kneeling would be appropriate, but the ground is hard and rough and would hurt your knees.

I’m Asian. And I squat, but I can’t do it for more than, say, 5 or 10 minutes, or I’ll wind up with a very painful cramp in the arch of my foot. I do it regularly when looking for books on the lower shelves, since it takes up less space than just flopping on the lino in the aisle.

Um. Toes only? I fall on my face. I thought flatfooted squatting was the thing to do.

Good god, I just tried it, and while I don’t tip over, the flat-footed squatting does hurts my knees and my hips. Western squatting is way more comfy.

I do the “western squat.” Usually with my back up against a wall. It’s common for me to do when I’m waiting around for something and sick of standing, and there isn’t anywhere to sit.

I can do it, but it kills my knees. I’ve never had a problem with balancing while squatting though. Outside of a toilet, I would feel self-concious about squatting like that.

I use the “Asian Squat” if I have diarrhea in the shower.

Wait, what was the question. . .

Any “squatting” in public makes me self conscious. I don’t squat. I stand. I can do the Asian squat pretty easily though.

There’s a squat that we’re sort of overlooking. . .

Left foot, heel on the ground sort of in front of you.

Right foot on toes, under your butt, with the heel supporting your right “haunch”. Sort of how a catcher would throw a ball back, or how an umpire might squat. People might shoot a gun from this position too.

I find myself squatting in that manner occasionally, usually when stationary for long periods of time with no chair handy. I never thought anything of it.

• Dorjän

Usually if I’m tired enough in public to do that, I’ll just sit on the ground. Flexible enough to do it and hold the position indefinitely, but not something I use much. It’d probably look kinda silly, to boot.

I just tried it. I failed. I fell over.

I’m glad no one else was home.

I can’t do the Asian squat either. I wouldn’t be self-conscious about doing it if I could though. I’ve tried with my feet apart, feet together, toes pointed out ----- I just can’t balance squatting with my heels on the ground.

I wonder if the Asian squat is easier for Asians. Asians typically have a longer torso and shorter legs than Westerners.