Westvleteren XII Brick Beer release 12/12/12

Not released here in Washington State but did anyone buy this? Want to send me a bottle? :slight_smile:

Supposed to be the worlds best beer http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/local_news/water_cooler/westvleteren-xii-worlds-best-beer-finally-available-in-the-united-states

but color me skeptical, but who knows. Haven’t travelled to Belgium to try it there and who knows how bottling impacts the beer. Just I know there are lots of beer guys here and was wondering if anyone purchased this. At $85 for a sixpack (brick) it better be good.

The Westvleteren is pretty famous around these parts; you can normally only buy it at their Abby. You have to order ahead and can only get one ‘crate’ per license plate number. I know some people who have it regularly and hear good things, haven’t been able to get one myself (yet at least).

I’m pissed that these can’t be sold in my state :mad:

That being said, St. Bernardus Abt 12 is essentially the same as the Westy 12 - the St. Bernardus brewery used to brew the Westy under license. When that deal ended, they kept brewing it using the same recipe and equipment, just under their own name.

I’ve had both. Side by side, I think I MIGHT be able to tell the difference, but I wouldn’t swear to it. And St. Bernardus Abt 12 is available pretty much everywhere.

Best Beer in the World? Beer is so damn subjective and there are so many styles, to declare any beer the best in the world is pretty ridiculous.

The Best Beer in the World: the one in your hand.

I thought the title said Wrestlemania XII. I was hoping to hear about the Iron Man Match.

I was curious about this, as I’ve heard others say the two are dead similar for the reasons you’ve given, but I’ve never had the Westy 12. Unfortunately, I did not find out about this sale until yesterday afternoon, by which time the gift packs were long gone, as far as I know, otherwise I’d try a side-by-side.

I misread it as WrestleMania too.

I’ve had both, but not side by side. They are very similar. The Westy was slightly better in my opinion, but that may well be simply the excitement of trying it - I’d need to blind taste them side by side to be sure. Even in my memory, it wasn’t better enough to justify the major pain of obtaining it.

Good to know–I will have to look for it and try it so I can see if what I missed! And if I enjoy it then plan a trip to Belgium.