wet suit or bigger thermorest pad?

I’m going to Alaska in a couple of weeks to do some very remote canoeing for 1 week (110miles). I’m pretty much packed; and am including my “farmer John” type wetsuit, and my very small lightweight backpacking thermorest sleeping pad.

The temperature looks like it will typically be between lower 50’s and mid 70s, but could be cold and rainy (30s for lows; 50s for highs) The water temp will be cold (~lower 40s?). The wetsuit can also be used under the pad for added comfort when I’m sleeping, but won’t be as comfy as my bigger heavier thermorest pad. Your opinion please, Do I:

1. keep what I have (wetsuit and small pad) or
  2. pull the wetsuit and small pad out, replace it with larger pad (and throw in a pair of long underwear)

The weight and space of both options are essentially the same.

What natural materials will you have available/ be sleeping on, that might help with the comfot factor while sleeping? If you’re going to be sleeping on rocks, then I can see a bigger pad. However, if you can use natural materials to cushion your bed, or sleep on sand or grass, I think you should stick with what you have now. Having a wet suit in 40 degree water seems like more than just a good idea.

Whitewater or flatwater? Any extended crossings?

class I river, no crossings or wadings planned (there is a chance the water will be low in spots requiring dragging boats.

I don’t plan on any swimming, but if I go in the water, it could be bad if I’m in for more than a few minutes.

We will be camping on gravel bars, whatever is found on Beaver Creek…100 miles east and north of Fairbanks. They could be sand, but I expect gravel.

Hmmm. I’ve never felt the need for a wet suit in Class I water. And wearing a wet suit while paddling for extended periods seems like warm work. I do know from experience that warm booties or at least wool socks are called for.

I assume there’s an outfitter who’s schlepping you out into the wilderness? You might ask them if a wet suit is called for.