What accounts for the popularity of contemporary Wicca?

I dunno, the way Christianity might speak to bored male teenagers that feel powerless, giving them a god centric ritualistic paradign to see themselves reflected via worship, and thus in essence worshipping themselves?

I find the male dominated aspect of Christianity (especially as reflected in Catholism and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) to be very offputting and unappealing. Why wouldn’t women be more attracted to a religion that at the very LEAST allows them to be equal and not second class church members, not fit to lead?

I have a friend who was a Wiccan for a while. Near as I can tell, she was either reacting against being raised Catholic, or she liked the whole “Get naked and dance in the woods” bit.

Mind you, she was an uninspired, lazy, indifferent sort of Wiccan… and has now gone back to being an uninspired, lazy, indifferent sort of Catholic.

Zenster:

Myth is powerful. There are many phenomena that can’t be measured. How about emotion? Will you deny that emotion exists? Also to say that a phenomena is provable is daft - only logical statements are provable.

OK, let’s take these issues one at a time:

Is Wicca old or new? It’s new - although sometimes it tries to masquerade as old.

Why is Wicca popular? Because it’s NOT Christian (thereby appealing to rebellious teens) and it’s largely seen as harmless. It’s also very much a feel good religion that emphasizes feeling good about one’s body, which appeals to teenagers who are feeling awkward about themselves.

I do have issues with extreme “white light” Wicca, what is sometimes referred to as “fluff-bunny” that refuses to acknowledge there IS evil in the world, and bad people and things. This can also trip up reconstructionist Paganism when modern types seeking to restore something like Asatru refuse to believe that the ancient Norse practiced animal and human sacrifice (such as hanging horses and men from a tree sacred to Odin). This goes down hard for Wiccans who are vegans due to the “harm none” rede, that their spiritual ancestors didn’t have a problem with blood-lettting.

I think a certain element are attracted to Wicca because they want to do “real” magic. First of all, you have to define what you mean by “magic” anyhow. I think it’s pretty darn magical I can talk directly with someone in Tokyo or Istanbul from the comfort of my living room in North America. Yes, I use a phone, it’s a lot less effort than telepathy and much more reliable. And, you know, witches can fly, too - I tell folks I use an airplane instread of a broom because it results in fewer splinters I have to yank out of my hoo-hah. But that’s not really remarkable because folks of all those other religions can fly, now, too (provided they can afford a ticket) so some of the “magic” has worn off. Most of the “magic” in Neo-Paganism (which is what I say I practice, having dropped off the “Wicca” title decades ago) is more on the lines of biofeedback, self-hypnosis, visualization, and focusing of the will. When the “Oh, cool I want to do spells crowd” realize what the “magic” in Paganism is they can be very disappointed.

Wicca fills a need for ritual - humans seem wired to need ritual, and I can’t help but think that’s part of the problem with some contemporary Christian sects. Their rites are boring. There is no mystery there. People need to occassionally dress up in silly costumes, chant, sing, and do things in groups that appeal to their emotions rather than their reason. Because, however intelligent a person may be, he or she still has emotions and an irrational side that understands myth and ritual better than logic.

Wicca allows women a full role in religion which many of the monotheistic groups do not. No matter how strongly a woman is called by God, she can never become a Catholic priest. Now, some Wiccan groups go to the opposite extreme and discriminate against men, but most I’ve had encounters with allow men and women equal opportunities in spiritual matters.

Wicca celebrates sexuality in all its forms. Sex is not bad, it’s good, and it can even be an act of worship. This has a lot more appeal than “you’re going to burn in hell because you touched your pee-pee”. Heterosexuality, bisexuality, homosexuality - even sexual orientation confusion - are equally welcomed. This does NOT mean we have nothing but orgies! Monogamy is also recognized as a legitimate path. So is celibacy. True sexual freedom is the freedom to say “no” as well as “yes”. The only limits are basically everyone has to be adult (sex with children is seen as inherently harmful) and no one gets hurt. Having children is good. NOT having children, given our current overpopulation problems, is also a valid personal choice.

Gosh, did I leave anything out? If so, it will have to wait - the mundane concerns of earning a living and keeping my job dictate I end here and get ready for work.

Hhmm… I still have the impression that Paganism values women a bit over men… not that its bad actually. Still my “witch” experience is limited.

Being a fervent anti-Catholic I have to add that Catholicism and christianity in general have mistreated women and given them a second or third class status. So its easy to figure why Wicca is getting stronger.

I think another factor in the popularity of Wicca is that it places the power in your own hands. If you’re coming from a Christian tradition, you’re probably used to approaching God through the intercession of a priest or other clergy member. When you pray to God directly, and say your prayers are answered, you might have the sense that you asked, but God granted because He decided to. (I have this sense, anyway.) In Wiccan ritual, you yourself have much more power and control – you’re the one manipulating energies and making things happen. I’m sure this is an attractive aspect to many, and I would imagine it’s especially attractive to teens.

Well, fun to “manipulate the energies” until you get a solid lesson in consequences and the Rule of Three.

I think it also has advantages because you can sort it out yourself from a handful of books rather than having to listen to somebody older/with more experience, which is what a lot of teens are obviously striking out against when they’re looking for a religion.

Of course, if you stick it out for a few years while you mature, you learn that it’s important to listen to older and more experienced people in most if not all realms of life. But when you’re young and trying to define the major bits of yourself (such as sexuality, religion, etc.), it’s very nice to be able to do something without anybody around to supervise you or tell you you’re doing it wrong.

That’s what did it for me, anyhow. I had a lot of moments of feeling stupid, and of figuring out what I really did believe, and Wiccan is still the closest name for it. I don’t have a pentagram tattoo or necklace, insist on the veracity of Goddess-worshipping cultures or the Burning times, and when I dance naked, it is only incidentally a religious experience. :wink:

But is there really any actual increase in popularity? DreadCthulhu asked this before, but everybody seemed to ignore the question.

So does anyone have a cite indicating an actual increase in the popularity of wicca?
Like Gallup polls, early US Census records, etc.

Well, considering that its adherence in 1930 was pretty damned close to 0, I would venture to suggest that its popularity has increased.

</facetious>

From here:

“The fastest growing religion, in percentage terms, in both [the US and Canada] is Wicca.”

Granted, when there aren’t that many people, it doesn’t take much to increase your percentage. Still…

Screw popularity (as it were). I’d like to thank Broomstick for a truly cogent post. You have my personal gratitude for such an in-depth analysis.

I’ve been to more than a few Wiccan events. Not much harm has ever come to me through them. However, neither has a profound amount of good. Still, I wish the world was full of Wiccans more than so many other religious types.

Thank you, Zenster, I’m always willing to try to spread a little understanding.

I’d also like to point out that when I was Initiated 26 years ago “Wicca” was considerably different than what most self-identified Wiccans practice today. So much for an “Old Religion” passed down unchanging! (One of the problems with kids today is they have no sense of history!… Oh, gosh, I’m soundling like a crone, aren’t I? Nevermind…)

And it’s darned hard to make generalizations about Neo-Pagans of any sort, there being such a diversity of them. And we are talking about a religion that values self-expression over dogma.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that :wink:

Pity that Zenster got banned… 9500 posts means he has been here quite a while… what happened ?

Read the last post in this thread.

Geez, if you can’t threaten to shove an axe handle up somebody’s butt in The BBQ Pit, where can you?

Just a joke. Please don’t ban me…