What actor is the current king of science fiction?

OK, some ground rules.

1. Fantasy like Harry Potter, Highlander and Lord of the Rings is not SF. 2. Super hero stuff like Superman or Spiderman is not SF. 3. Monster films unless solidly built around science is not - King Kong or Godzilla are not. Predator and Terminator are. 4. If you have a film that might be in the gray area for rules 1-3, make a case for it.

Science Fiction is not a monarchy, it is a federal republic.

Even it were a monarchy, it would not be ruled by a freaking actor!

Possibly a feudal republic in some cases.

Let’s see: Alien, Aliens, Aliens 3, Galaxy Quest, Avatar, Ghostbusters – Sigourney Weaver.
It’s Sci Fi: You can have a lady king, right?

Good argument for a distaff king, Prof.

Sigourney and Ahnold.

Sigourney should be the queen of Science Fiction Acting. Sadly, William Shatner is the king.

I see your Ahnuld or William Shatner and raise you a Will Smith: Independence Day, I, Robot, After Earth, Men In Black 1-3, I Am Legend, Wild Wild West, Blossom.

Okay, not Blossom.

What have Shatner and Ahnuld done lately?

Well, if we aren’t counting Samuel L Jackson’s work in UNBREAKABLE and THE INCREDIBLES before tying IRON MAN and CAPTAIN AMERICA into THE AVENGERS, then he’s still the bad-ass Jedi Master with a purple lightsaber about to hit the big screen in the upcoming ROBOCOP movie – with bonus points for JURASSIC PARK.

Bruce Willis, maybe? Tom Cruise has done a fair amount lately too, with Minority Report, War of the Worlds, Oblivion, and coming up Edge of Tomorrow.

Heck, if Hugh Jackman hadn’t been so busy playing Wolverine in X-MEN and X2 and X-MEN: THE LAST STAND and X-MEN: FIRST CLASS and X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST and X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE – and, well, THE WOLVERINE – he could’ve done more than just REAL STEEL and THE PRESTIGE and THE FOUNTAIN (and, technically, VAN HELSING and KATE & LEOPOLD).

Neil deGrasse Tyson in this Cosmos trailer. People with some serious scifi love made that. So much homage.

Does the king have to have talent? Because that would eliminate a few of the previous offerings.

W. Morgan Sheppard. He’s in everything, all the time.

Have to have talent? I thought lack of talent was a requirement.

Well then Will Smith wins in a walk.

His son Mark isn’t doing so bad himself - Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, Dollhouse, Doctor Who, Chuck…

Let’s not be too hasty. Keanu Reeves has been in quite a few science fiction movies.

Holy crap. I did not know that. Cool.

It’s great to see the tradition of being That Guy being passed down.