What aircraft is this?

I mean the one in the painting on the wall behind the guy.

Maybe made by Vought (the two desk models are Vought planes)
Looks like a ground attack aircraft – lots of weapons pylons under the wings
Twin jets mounted very similar to an A-10 Thunderbolt.
Possibly a 3rd engine, or anyway some kind of big honkin’ air scoop, under the nose.

It’s a joke painting. Vought A-7 fuselage with A-10 wings & empennage.

IIRC the AX prototypes (A-9 & A-10) had to prove themselves superior to the A-7DII in order to be considered for the final selection trials.

Probably someones joke about how Vought could keep making mud-movers for the USAF.

Is this a serious answer? I’m not real sure, and it doesn’t particularly look like an A-10 wing, and not at all like the tail.

Yep, it’s a serious answer, I’d say.
The nose is distinctively an A-7. The tail is a combination of the A-7’s single vertical stabiliser, and the A-10’s twin.
The wing is pure A-10, straight with the undercarriage pods a bit out from the fuselage.

It looks like a descendant of this plane.

It’s a joke airplane drawn from the A-7 and A-10. I think I’ve seen the same question here or elsewhere before.

A-7D side-view

A-10 3/4 front-view

You be the judge.

Yep:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-526217.html

Yes, and I pulled the screen shot from the same program mentioned in that thread.

Pretty bad documentary, BTW, a lot of incorrect information and sloppy script. They even got the number of Japanese carriers sunk at Midway wrong.

Very obviously a jackalope. The cockpit and aerodynamics have been compromised to make room for an engine air inlet that is not connected to an engine.

It was, and remains, a 7-10 Split.

It might not be an A-10 wing, but it’s sure as hell not an A-7 wing. There’s more than a little artistic license on the artist’s part.

I vote: until someone comes up with a photograph of this machine, it’s a joke painting.

The planes on the desk are Vought Corsairs: the F4U Corsair, and the A-7 Corsair II.

I hate you and will hate you for at least another 30 seconds. :wink:

I’m going to send an email to the Voight museum about it. I’ll let you know when I hear back from them.

Is that where they display Jon Voight’s Oscar?

Fantastic! I was bowled over!

Despite the widespread availability of spares, eventually the military abandoned the 7-10 Split in favor of strike fighters.

No, but I think his car is there.

pssst!

What does that have to do with me riffing on how you misspelled “Vought?” :slight_smile: