What are some of the best things you ever ate at a restaurant?

I could not begin to list the all the very best meals. They would likely include Japanese fatty tuna sushi, Argentine steak, Grilled fish with coconut rice, Peking Duck, Chicken drowned in Szechuan peppers, Chinese Salt and Pepper Ribs, Real Jerk Anything, good Thai or Kerala food, A good seafood risotto…

One of the best meals was Roast Chicken at a Paris bistro. Good moules frites too…

That’s interesting - I’ve never tried arctic char. So if you like fresh rainbow trout (which I do), but don’t particularly care for salmon (and I don’t - don’t absolutely hate it either, but would never spend money on it), should I search it out or would it be wasted on me?

It’s just my opinion, you know. I thought it was sweet and delicate, pinkish in color. Yes, like a combination of salmon and trout!

Is it similar to steelhead?

We had seared salmon belly at our local sushi joint not long ago and asked it to be a little more seared than normal due to my SO not loving raw fish. It was still rare enough for me but it was lovely . Unfortunately, even though we’ve asked for it again the same way, its still good but not as amazing as the first time.

Last night in London, we were in kind of an odd neighborhood (friend found a cheap hotel in an out of way place) where we couldn’t find a pub that also served food but they would let us bring food so we went to a Pakistani sandwich shop next door intending to bring it over but not only was it the best chicken shawarma pita I’ve had but also one of the best meals ever. The veggies were so crips/flavorful and the shop owners were the only friendly people we met in London so we ate there and had a nice conversation too.

Lastly, the best /most favorite dish of all time at a restaurant is the baked lamb (neck) at The Star in Elko, NV. Nothing can beat it- tender, garlicky- and amazing. It’s always a good idea to reserve it in advance.

Arctic char is okay. Much better is pickerel. Fatty tuna much better than that. YMMV.

I had a lovely pickerel just the one her night at a local restaurant. Char was better.

A crab and shrimp au gratin dish in Savannah.

Somewhere near San Diego, I can’t recall the name of the place, but they served a dozen raw baby oysters on the half shell, served on a bed of ice.

Each oyster was flavored differently and they were all just delicious. I wish I could remember the name of the place, it would be worth the drive to duplicate that experience.

I didn’t think much of sushi until a Japanese businessman with connections to a local sushi spot invited me for a goddamned spectacle of otoro (fatty tuna). I could order whatever else I wanted off the menu, but – for a group of three of us – he had the chef prepare something like 50 pieces of simple otoro nigiri and plenty of sake to go with it. The table was a mesmerizing spread of pink and white.

Good Lord, was that so good. I had no idea what otoro even was at the time, but I sure became a fan of it and sushi in general. That was the first sushi dinner I ever felt full at (usually, I had to go to a McDonald’s afterwards to feel I had eaten anything – hey, I was in my 20s) and now I love all sorts of sushi in less gluttonous portions, too!

In Tokyo, a plate of tuna including ample fresh fatty tuna purchased that morning goes for as little as $15 at lunch and $30 at dinner. I would struggle to name anything better.

Sounds like me when I hiked to the summit of Mt. Whitney. We just stopped at a coffee shop in Lone Pine on the way home, and the cheeseburger tasted sooooo good.

You guys have a lot in common with Tony Stark.

When I was a kid, a stop at Rummel’s was always a treat. FYI, the place still exists as an ice cream stand, though the bear is gone and the ice cream is corporate (Gifford’s IIRC).

Wow. That’s impressive.

Yep, I’d camp out there and embarrass myself

Gifford’s the last I looked. But in my day, Rummel’s also had basic food service with indoor seating, so a family could spend the entire evening there.

They also had a very basic computer game (implemented entirely with toggle switches and a light) where you could work the wolf-sheep-cabbage-boat puzzle.