What are some of your favorite wines?

My husband brought home a bottle of tawny port for the first time a few weeks ago. I’ve never had it before. Delicious! I’m drinking some right now.

Personally, I love me some big-assed California Zinfandels. I also love Argentine Malbecs. Big, tannic reds with some backbone to them. Piss on Merlot. I want a wine that fights back!

I love ruby ports, the tawnys have too much tannin for my taste, though I’ll still have some nips in a pinch. I don’t know much about wine, not much of a wine drinker and when I’ve tried to learn my eyes just glaze over and I forget most of it. I’m a sweet wine drinker and also enjoy sangria with fresh squeezed grapefruit. There was a recent joke on Ellen involving boxed wine in a glass over ice, which I just might do on a hot summer day. Serious wine drinkers I imagine would find the idea appalling on more than one level!

I love port, some nice ones are produced here. Also muscadel, for dessert wine.

I also love the local varietal Pinotage, which has coffee-chocolate notes.

I’ve also gotten to love Gewürztraminer.

It depends. Just like beer (blasphemy!).

Last week the wife and I went to a Brazilian churrascaria (Fogo de Chao). A big, strong Argentinean Malbec was perfect with all of the meat.

For a less marbled steak (like a filet), a California Cab or French Bordeaux works well.

When I first got into wine I liked Pinot Noirs, but now they are too sweet for me, especially the French ones.

For the whites, I personally don’t like the bold Chardonnays. I like a white with seafood, on a sunny day in the afternoon. That means a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. If you can find a good California Pinot Blanc you will do just as well.

The German whites (Reisling, Gewürztraminer) are great but not normally with the main meal. Bust out one of those giant blue Reisling bottles with the appetizers and you will be a hero.

As to the OP and the Tawny ports - I like them, but as an after dinner drink because of the sweetness. I tend to like the older ones more - like 20 years or more.

But I will also down a Dos Equis (or 3) on a hot day or while grilling steaks, and if I don’t finish my beer I will alternate between it and wine at dinner. Did I mention blasphemy?

I love everything mentioned so far.

I’ll add my current favorite variety of white, Pinot Grigiot. Should come from the part of Italy just inland from Venice. Fruity and flowery without being too fruity and flowery.

Cline (California) makes a wonderful red Zinfandel with an oak-ey taste I love.

I’m not well educated as to the exact vineyards, but there’s certain grapes I like:

Zinfandel and pinot noir (although these are especially all over the map in terms of quality) for the reds. Although recently I’ve started to become charmed by the light drinkability of Blaufränkisch.

For the whites, my choices are a little more offbeat. I like a good sauvignon blanc and a riesling that’s toward the dry side, but also gruner veltliner and cserszegi fuszeres (which is a cross of Irsai Oliver and Roter Traminer.) It’s a quirky Hungarian white, that is kind of fruity and a bit muscat-like on the nose, but with more of a sauvignon blanc-like acidity. It’s pretty much impossible to find here in the US. Trader Joe’s, apparently, did have it under the label “Craftsman” a few years ago, but I didn’t find out about it until they stopped selling it. I also enjoy the dry versions of muscat ottonel. Most people (I think) are familiar with muscat as an almost syruppy-sweet wine, but there are a good number of European wineries that make it dry. It has a similar peachy/apricot nose to it like the cserszegi fuszeres, but with a less acidic flavor, with hints of honey.

I generally like most Spanish and Italian reds.

Likes me some Shiraz and Zin. A friend of mine runs a winery in Walla Walla and turns out an excellent Barbera, along with an equally excellent blend they call “Horizon”. Shameless plug: you can order from them.

this my favorite wine to date:

http://silversagewinery.com/our-wines-2/#flame

I let some friends store thier boat at my place for the winter and they always bring multiple bottles for me when they pick it up in the spring. I like the Cabernets best.

Just bought a few bottles of Loma Prieta Winery Pinotage last week. They are one of the few producers here. Wonderful wine!!

For those of you not from around here, Loma Prieta is up in the Santa Cruz mountains, and was the epicenter of the 1989 earthquake that killed 63 people in the SF Bay area.

Other favorites: Pinot Noir from the Santa Lucia Highlands. Talbot, Bernardus, Boekenoogen, etc. I’ve been getting away from CA whites, and more into Spanish (Albarino) and French whites. NZ Sauv Blancs are quite nice, too.

I will try to pick just one (for each of red and white).

Red - Chateauneuf du Pape

White - the exquisite Puligny-Montrachet

As an aside, I once shared a bottle of Chateau Mouton Rothschild (at over, well over, a thousand bucks for the bottle - I was being treated!). Very nice, indeed, but not twenty times nicer than 'Neuf du Pape)

I love sherry! Dry or not, except cream sherry which is far too sweet. And I can cook with it, and add it to sauces.

Do they still sell Almaden Rhine Wine? I haven’t looked lately, but would love love love some of that, or a similar wine. Right now, I am so into pinot grigio, no particular brand. It’s a chilled glass of heaven in the summer.

I have yet to find a Cab that I love…I take a sip and it’s OK then it is as if it sucks all the moisture out of my mouth and believe me I have tried many many bottles from many many vineyards to further my research :D.

Big into Zin’s at the moment - the last time we were in Paso Robles we brought a case of different varieties home to try.

We drink a lot of Chardonnay as sauvignon blanc takes bitter to me but Pinot Grigio is good in the summer. A nice viognier (sp?) is also good to sip while sitting on the back porch making the world a better place. I just know what I like and don’t like my husband who is the biggest redneck-cowboy you will ever meet and never drank wine until he met me has a really sensitive pallet apparently and at a blind tasting has impressed the winery guy doing the tasting with what he can differentiate in the wine. He tells me now if I will like a new wine or not when we get something new and he is usually right.

Any variety of Beaujolais. Even a non-Village or Nouveau off brand generic Beaujolais is better than the finest other wine. Although the peak of perfection is Cote de Brouilly Cru Beaujolais where the Gamay flavor is completely dominant.

If I can’t have a Beaujolais, any other light wine such as Pinot Noir or some varieties of spanish, although I like some of the foxiness of Concord or Catawba wines, although a little of it can go a long ways.