What are Some Traditional Boy and Girl Colors in Other Countries?

Guys in the U.S. lucked out with blue. Once you reach a certain age, like three years old, it doesn’t matter any more anyway. Guys can like any color they want. OK, except for pink, though I’ve seen plenty of professionals wear pink shirts.

But being female, I’m expected to stick with pink until my dying breath. I hate pink! At least frou-frou cute and feminine, all pervasive in everything girl and woman, pink. I’m thinking some other countries must have better taste in choosing girl colors and probably boy colors too.

Dopers are a well-traveled bunch so I’m asking you what would be my options if I or my brother were born in Peru, say, or Taiwan or Egypt or India? Or anywhere else in the world for that matter. Maybe some countries don’t even bother with traditional colors. What say you? Thanks in advance for your replies.

:dubious: I think you can wear whatever color you wish. My mom is into sort of drab greens, & I don’t remember seeing her wear pink much.

I’m probably more likely to wear pinks than most of my female relatives.

No, I’m not gay.

Maybe I didn’t word that well. :wink:

I’m just curious, is all.

In Germany the stereotypical boy/girl colours are also pink/blue but it’s a very unimportant stereotype as most baby/childrens’ clothing doesn’t really use these colours - from a hundred babies I see on the streat perhaps one is in bright pink and I think ‘girl’, one is in bright blue and I think ‘boy’, the other 98’s baby things are some other colour scheme i.e. people don’t advertise their baby’s gender. If I recollect correctly pink/blue babies were a more common sight two or three decades ago. From toddler age upwards females can wear any colour without causing comment, being in thrall only to fashion. OTOH straight males emphatically don’t wear pink.

s/streat/street/

Red (good fortune and wealth) has the traditional color for boys. Now all kids wear red during Chinese New Year. But these days it’s largely pink and blue

I suppose if you want traditional Japanese, there are the kids outfits for Shichigosan, a kind of good-luck Shinto ceremony for 3, 5 and 7-year-olds. The girls are typically in red or pink, but anything works. Boys seem to be exclusively in blue or black.

Side trivia: if you ask people in Japan what the opposite of red is, the most common answer you’ll get is white.

For an interesting read, check out this old thread discussing the issue.

Until the early 20th century, pink was traditional for boys and blue for girls. I won’t spoil it by telling what caused the change, but it might surprise you.