What are some WOW was that awesome parenting moments you remember?

In the spirit of balance with regard to the thread on WTF parenting moments, what are some of those memories you have of when your parents seemed to have the wisdom and/or love of the universe shining through them just for you in life?

I have more WTF moments that anything with both my parents so I try to focus on those true diamonds that would shine through on occasion that would be remembered as a gift for the rest of my life.

One: With my father, who was mostly not present in my life for reasons I would later come to understand. It was after my parents decided to split, I was 14 years old. My father asked to speak to me alone. We were sitting on my bed in my bedroom and he said to me: “No matter what happens over the course of time, no matter how it appears in the end, I want you to know one thing. I love you. And I always will.” It was such a profound thing because he was not the type to ever open up that way to anyone, and I could really feel him in that moment. I did take that with me as time proved to challenge the very notion that he loved me. One moment, one sincere expression of love really can last a lifetime.

When I was fifteen I started going out with a boy that my parents didn’t want me to see. Actually, they had forbidden it altogether. Looking back from this perspective I can more than understand their reasons, but then it looked like they were just being prejudiced and hypocritical. I was a young high school sophomore. He was two years older, a dropout, with a history of mental illness. He drove his own car, held a full-time job, and for all intents and purposes was an adult. I, obviously, was not even close. Anyway, I saw him on the sly for a few months, and then one night I walked into the house after he dropped me off and discovered my dad sitting there in the dark. He had seen us in the car. Much yelling ensued. Anyway, after I told my boyfriend I couldn’t see him anymore, he wrote a letter to my parents, telling them that he respected their right to make that decision, but that it would break his heart.
They sat down with me and showed me the letter. I was totally at a loss as to how I should react. I had no idea what they were going to do. I mean, these were very conservative, pretty strict parents who didn’t approve of this guy in the first place. And who really didn’t believe that anybody our age could be in love.

So what did they do? They told me I could see him, but only at our house, when they were home. I was amazed. It looked to me as if they were willing to accept us and our feelings, and they really followed through.

The thing is, he came over a couple of times, and then the whole thing started going downhill. I think what happened was that, without the adventure of the “secret love” we realized we didn’t have anything in common. Not to mention he found somebody who would put out for him, which wasn’t in my game plan.

Looking back, I think they really did rethink the idea of forbidding us to see each other, realizing it meant more to me than they had thought. But I also think they were doing a sneaky parent thing of getting this relationship out in the open, taking the “romance and adventure” out of it, knowing that it would fizzle out on its own. Or at least hoping so, and giving me the graceful option of being able to admit it if it did, instead of having to cling to it, just to prove I was right.

As I grew up, I looked at a lot of their decisions in the light of that whole incident, and realized they were a lot wiser than I was sometimes willing to give them credit for. And I’ll admit, I have used that example in parenting my own kids, especially my older daughter. And it worked there, too. My parents had some quite silly ideas, but sometimes they were pretty darn smart.

I was the archetypal rebellious teenager (and beyond the teenage years). I remember my mother, in the course of one of those endless “We’re worried about you…” conversations, saying that my father had said to her once, of me: “She’ll be OK, she’s a survivor”. His belief in me has sustained me through some very hard times.

My son and I were playing around on the floor - horsie rides, pretend wrestling, etc. He looked at me and said, “I love you so much - you’re my mama-sister!”

warm fuzzies