What are the best and worst 70's rock bands?

My nominee for worst:

Xaviera Hollander. Listen to her rendition of “Michelle” on the Rhino collection Golden Throats 4. (Sound of dogs howling.)

Well, I was in fifth grade when the 70’s ended, but the two 70’s bands that I’ve been into since the 70’s ended (and listened to just today) are Styx and Kansas.

I would agree with {b]Talking Heads** and The Clash and add Queen who has not been mentioned yet.

I think of Boston when I think of 70’s Rock. I still love to crank up any of their tunes.

As for others, my musical tastes are so diverse and eclectic that I may be lynched or laughed out of existence, but a few favorites are England Dan and John Ford Coley, Exile, Chicago

Worst? Refer to my statement about being diverse and eclectic.

I continue my crusade against Lynyrd Skynrd, Allman Brothers, Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, and many others. If it’s on a Best list here, It’s probably on my Nuke-until-they-glow list.

The reasons why would include a “classic” rock station that plays nothing but 70’s shit. I mean, they barely play anything done in the 80’s or 90’s.

Our very own Happy Hooker? She made RECORDS??? Please tell me you are kidding. This is one of the few compatriots I am actually ashamed of already. Please tell me she didn’t pull a Shatner…

Supertramp is one of those bands I just can’t stand, because I just can’t. I automatically switch stations.

Another vote for the Ramones. I also dig Sweet. That’s about it from the 70s.

ABBA was both.

Best:

Cheap Trick
The Police
Worst:

(I probably don’t even remember some of the worst. I tend to blank out bad memories.)
Debbie Boone (was that 70’s?)
Captain and Tenille (sp?)
Donny and Marie

Yes, Xaviera Hollander made an LP. Seiously…I saw it at a record swap meet once.

Hmmmmm… didn’t see a mention of ‘Yes’. I thought they were excedllent in their time. The decade had so much good and bad.

Some of the best.

The Doors
Talking Heads
Dire Straits
Little Feat

not only that, but they were excellent too! (pardon my typo)

The Who - started off in the 6’s but came of age in the 70’s

I’m a fan of rock generally but I find Yes to be bloody pretentious.

Stranglers were pretty good.

I still have a soft spot for Rennaisance which is not my usual fare.

Can’t believe that the thin white duke hasn’t had some mention.

Wow. First reply in almost 12 years!

Here goes:

BEST:

[ol]
[li]Ramones[/li][li]Clash[/li][li]Todd Rundgren[/li][li]Tubes[/li][li]King Crimson[/li][li]Gabriel-era Genesis[/li][li]Blue Oyster Cult[/li][li]Roxy Music / Brian Eno[/li][li]Talking Heads[/li][li]Bowie[/li][li]Devo (all the WAY)[/li][li]Joy Division[/li][li] Disco-era Rolling Stones (Some Girls through Tattoo You)[/li][/ol]

WORST:

[ol]
[li]America[/li][li]Bad Company[/li][li]REO Speedwagon[/li][li]Foreigner[/li][li]Billy Joel[/li][li]Emerson, Lake and Palmer[/li][li]Van Halen[/li][/ol]

Tull wins the prize for being both great AND rotten.
60’s WHO is awesome, 70’s WHO is blustery crap.

[Mod Hat]

icepulse, please refrain from resurrecting elderly, dead threads. (Colloquially known as “zombies”) Most of the posters who have previously participated in these threads no longer post here and are unable to reply. If you’re still interested in the topic, feel free to start a new thread on the topic and link back to the old one. (Exceptions are made for cases where new information is brought to bear in a case, for instance when the verdict is handed down in a murder trial years later.)

With thanks,
Gukumatz
Game Room & IMHO moderator.