what are the chips for in Yatzee?

My girlfriend and I just opened a brand new Yatzee game this weekend, and in addition to the materials you normally need to play Yatzee, it also came with a few chips (like poker chips).

In the directions, it says if you roll additional Yatzee’s in a game, you mark your scorecard (there is a area for additional Yatzees) and you get a chip. But they never go on to say WHY I need a chip? I’ve just marked it on my scorecard, isn’t this enough?

My girlfriend says that older yatzee’s didn’t have the area on the scorecard for additional yatzees, and thus the chips were used for noting extra yatzees back then. OK, I understand that is what they used to be used for, but now that the scorecards have a location for additional yatzee’s, I don’t understand why I need the chips at all.

Anyone?

In “Ending a Game,” the rules say:

It appears that, yes, the chips are redundant. They are likely left in the game for nostalgia, and also for the rare occasions when you get more than four Yahtzees. (I’ve seen it done.)

That’s exactly right. Some of us old time purists still resist the idea of adding Yahtzee bonus points within each game. We prefer to keep our chips and tally them only when we add up the series score.

Nah, the chips are there in order to play the exciting game of Tidly Winks during the more boring parts of Yahtzee…

Actually, a true Yahtzee purist (like myself) ignores the chips as well as the bonus points. If you roll five of a kind again, you take it under your sixes, or your fives, or your four of a kind, or whatever. We’ve always played this way. In fact, I never had even heard of the 100 extra points until I got the electronic Yahtzee a year or two ago.

OK, if taking the extra 100 is part of the “official” rules, then I’m not a purist, just lazy. Still, that’s the way we play and the way we always have played.

Nineiron, you may be playing a game with five dice, but it isn’t Yahtzee! Without the 100 bonus points, all of the incentives are skewed and Yahtzee is just another box on the bottom half of the score sheet. You can count chips, put check marks on your score sheet, or put notches on the bones of a sheep, but one way or another you have to recognize the bonus points.