What are the consequences of home distilling?

The legal consequences, that is. Let’s say, for the sake of disusssion, that I have successfully constructed a reflux still and distilled myself a liter of vodka. Suppose I also have managed to successfully separate the methanol and am left with nearly pure ethanol, so poisoning doesn’t seem to be a problem. What kind of legal problems would I be dealing with if the ATF would happen to get wind of my little operation. If I weren’t selling it and using it just for personal consumption and some sharing with friends, would they just turn a blind eye? Or would I end up being Bubba’s girlfriend in prison for the next 20 years? I am a homebrewer and on some homebrewing websites, they give information on how to home distill, so I was wondering about the legal ramifications.

First of all, welcome.

The Department of the Treasury has this to say.

Finally, and not to put you on the spot, but I hope that someday, someone will explain to me why prison rape is often seen as a laughing matter.

Unca Sam sez vapor phase reflux is a big no-no.

I don’t seem to recall that freeze cracking your own apple jack has even been outlawed.

Thanks for the welcome. I have been lurking for quite a while, finally got around to posting.

$10,000 and/or 5 years in the big house. Pretty steep. Of course, that’s the maximum penalties. They would probably plea bargain for probation in exchange for a guilty plea for first time offenders. Not that I would want to test out that theory…

Earl, you’re right, when I actually think about it, I can’t think of a reason why prison rape should be humorous, but somehow, it has become that way. That may be a GD question…