What are the current Friends or Seinfeld-type show?

They are and it’s so awesome. I can really recommend this show. After nine seasons I haven’t once thought “they’ve done this already”.

Yep. Are there, in fact, any sitcoms where the characters routinely go around solving murders and rescuing people? The only one I can think of is Get Smart.

Well, there’s Brooklyn Nine Nine. But the characters in that show are police officers.

also Psych, Scrubs, Castle. these are sitcoms right?

Well, Scrubs ended in 2010, so it’s not current. And Psych and Castle are hour-long series and sitcoms are typically thirty minutes in length.

The closest I can suggest would be Big Bang Theory. But it’s a stretch.

Archer, which I really, really like, is more of a workplace comedy. But it’s not much like Friends or Seinfeld at all.

Too true! But, it’s the closest I can come right now in my regular-viewing lineup. :smiley:

Scrubs yes (but as already mentioned not on anymore)

I’ll agree Psych is a comedy, but it’s not really a sitcom.

I’d go even further and say Castle is a light hearted drama, not a comedy.

Castle and Psych are kind of just on the opposite sides of the very fine line that separates comedies from not comedies that have humor. But neither is a sitcom.

Scrubs is more workplace comedy, in my opinion. Really, that’d go for any show where all or most of the principle cast works in the same place.

The League might qualify. Most of the plots are pretty much just stupid people being stupid and they all work different jobs. Even the nominal nexus of the show (the fantasy football league) is often a B plot to whatever they’re getting themselves into that episode.

An aside - we just finished watching the first two seasons, and we’re dying to see Season Three! So damned funny! Matt LeBlanc really is a truly talented comedian.

Another aside - I can’t recommend this show enough. Richard Ayoade should be in every sitcom, since he’s the funniest man alive.

The funniest comedy no one ever watched (except for me and my husband). :frowning:

My initial responses to the OP’s question was New Girl and Super Fun Night. I wouldn’t recommend How I Met Your Mother at this point - it ran out of steam last season, and I’m just hanging in there to meet the Goddamned mother this season. :mad:

That’s pretty much exactly Psych.

Louie reminded me of Seinfeld from the few episodes I saw (and really liked). The original premise of Seinfeld was that it was about a comedian and how the daily happenings and observations become stand-up material. But IIRC the stand-up segments became much less a part of the show after the first season or two.

Episodes seems like more of a workplace comedy, but it does follow the characters home. Sean and Matt’s offset adventures were good, and I hope they start up again; Carol and Bev are hilarious together, getting stoned over dinner or hiking.