What are the most accurate figures for the numbers of Americans drafted and conscripted into service in WWI? I've looked at quite a number

What are the most accurate figures for the overall number of Americans drafted and conscripted into service in WWI? I’m looking for separate number of drafted and conscripted men and women in the AEF in WWI. I’ve looked at quite a numbers and don’t know which ones to trust.

Everything I’m finding says 2.8 million men were drafted, and another 2 million volunteered. This is from the Selective Service Administration (they would know!). In fact, the exact number is 2,810,296 men.

It’s safe to say no women were drafted, considering that women are still not required to register for Selective Service.

No they weren’t drafted, but hundreds of American women enlisted. The navy and Marine women were stateside releasing men for the front lines, but army nurses worked shifts over 72 hours after major combat assaults, and the Signal Corps had the “Hello Girls” at the switchboards. Their uniforms had little lead weights sewn into the hems of their skirts in case the wind caught them.

Thanks bump. The point about women is often forgotten.

just as a thought, i wonder what the reaction would be if one day a law was passed saying women did have to sign up for selective service

Requiring women to register for selective service comes up every now and then. The most recent effort that I am aware of was in 2021.

While some women are for it, the majority are not. Mr. Google thinks that as of 2021, 55 percent of men favor requiring women to register but only 36 percent of women are in favor of it.

This is the cite that Google gives: Support for drafting women to the military has decreased since 2016.

Thousands, not hundreds.

Over 7,000 women applied to be Hello Girls, but only 450 were accepted. They wore Army uniforms and were subject to Army regulations, but were considered to be civilian employees. In 1978 (long after the war), Congress elevated their status to Army Veterans and gave them all honorable discharges for their service.

On Memorial Way at the University of Washington, there were planted 58 sycamore trees, one for each alumni that died in WW1 - 57 men, 1 woman.