What are the oldest computer games you sill pay?

Realistically, Civilization II (1996) and Medieval: Total War (2002).

I have some old classics on GOG but I don’t know that I’ll actually sit down and play through fifty hours of Starflight again.

I still enjoy Sid Meier’s Civilization. Civilization IV is my favorite out of them all, but it was the first one, for Super Nintendo, that got me into the series (I also have a DOS version of it still kicking around somewhere).

I use DosBox turbo so I can play Master of Orion 2 (1996) on my tablet. Despite playing many more modern 4x space games, I keep going back to that one. Here’s to hoping the upcoming reboot is more like Moo2 and less like Moo3.

Honerable mention to Sid Meier’s Alpha Centaur (1999)i. It didn’t age quite as well as MoO, and damn is that UI ugly, but I still fire it up every once in a while. The drones need me!

I had totally forgotten about the game Empire. I played that one as a kid back in the 80s, and now I’m curious and might have to check it out again.

Galaga.

This is an arcade game made (sort of) famous in the movie WarGames. It is the game Matthew Broddrick is playing in the video arcade.

I still play it on my PS2.

And I still suck at it. I have never beaten the game.

I think I am the worst video game player on the planet, and it’s not even close.

About once a year or so I will go back through Deus Ex but the oldest game that I regularly play is Sid Meier’s Pirates from 2004.

One of my friends and I like to go through the game every few months and compare scores and general Pirate badassery.

I completely forgot that I also play Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening when I fly.

I was playing the original Marathonwhen I spent a few days sick last month. That would be 1994.

I also keep an old Genesis emulator around to keep Master of Monsters alive. The North America release was 1991 for that.

And if you look at new games that I have purchased… my most recent purchase was Fallout Tactics. So my “new” game is from 2001.

(I do play lots of silly freemium games on my phone, but I refuse to spend money on those. Even there, I love Kemco’s old-school RPGs that would feel right at home in the late 80’s and early 90’s. I’m playing Band of Monsters most recently.)

Still trying to beat that one level on Battle Toads

Currently struggling through No One Lives Forever (2000). I bought it in 2001 and nearly got to the end but my save got corrupted and I didn’t feel like playing it again. I just found it in an old CD caddy I was throwing away so I thought I’d complete it for old times’ sake. But my god does it look and play like shit now.

[quote=“crypto, post:24, topic:739839”]

Galaga.

This is an arcade game made (sort of) famous in the movie WarGames. It is the game Matthew Broddrick is playing in the video arcade.

I still play it on my PS2.

And I still suck at it. I have never beaten the game…QUOTE]

Can it be beaten? I was pretty good at it, but I never got to anywhere that said, “You win!” They just kept throwing on additional … rounds?

Come to think of it, I don’t remember any arcade games you could actually “win”. You might win free games, but the game you were playing just kept going until you lost or just gave up playing.

I play Daggerfall every so often. I remember spending about 30 minutes looking for a bloody pawn shop.

Every 5 years or so, I’ll play through the original Dungeon Master (1987) on my PC. I can’t believe it still works.

After finding the password in the sewers under the Wine Cellar, I have just entered the Catacombs of Skara Brae. My magician and conjurer have become sorcerers on their attempt a becoming arch-mages. My Warrior, Hunter and Monk are all now push 150 health as my meat shields, and while my hunter only hits for 8 to 10 damage, he has a very high critical percentage.

My bard found a really cool bardsword, and I swear it has alcohol in it. He no longer has to stop by the Tavern to get a drink to whet his whistle, but who am I to deny him the pleasure. Every trip down into the depths, I stop by for a drink anyway.

I hope to have the catacombs completely mapped this weekend and then on to wherever the clues take me!

Watch out for spinner squares. They make mapping a bitch!

Every couple of of years, I’ll get obsessed with playing NetHack until I can ascend a character.

[quote=“Boyo_Jim, post:29, topic:739839”]

Lots of the games from the Galaga era would eventually reach a point where you were just back to screen 1 or repeating the same screen over and over. You didnt “win” as such nor were they capable of endlessly randomizing new screens. The first arcade game I remember playing that had an actual ending was Smash TV in 1990.

I’m actually playing through that and Star Control 2/Ur Quan Masters right now. I’m actually not bugged by the graphics or gameplay of No One Lives Forever (but my sense of games and graphics is probably stuck in that era, anyway.)

[quote=“Scumpup, post:35, topic:739839”]

Yeah, I was going to say. My memory of games back in that era was not so much that they had an end, but you just kept playing until you eventually died or the game broke (see: Pac Man). The idea was to get the highest score, not really unlock some sort of ending. (There were certainly some games that ended before then. I know that Karate Champ Vs from 1984 would go through 13 [I think] levels, then repeat those 13 again with the computer at double speed, and then end if you finished all those levels. I’ve never seen anyone finish it, though. I’ve gotten as far as the second or third level the second time through–the computer is just too fast, but I’m sure there’s plenty of folks who have figured it out. But there was no “ending” as far as I know.) ETA: Oh yeah, Out Run from 1986 had a proper ending. I think Super Punch-Out did, too. But games of that shoot-em-up type didn’t seem to.

Solitaire is the oldest. Freecell is the next oldest. I upgraded my 2nd best laptop to W10 and cannot find them. Another reason not to convert (or have I missedtheir availability?)

I lost my copy of AAWAS years ago :frowning: Is it online somewhere?

I recently started playing Diablo II (2000) with a friend. Ahh, memories.

My wife every once in a while plays a DOS version of the TV gameshow “Classic Concentration.” No idea how old it is but the show ended in 1991.

I restart the Gold Box series of D&D games every once in a while. I don’t break out the graph paper, I just find the maps online. Now that they’re on GoG, I’ll probably end up buying and replaying them soon. I was happy to have the Silver Collection of Forgotten Realms games when that became available, but hopefully GoG’s version won’t require me to dig out the code wheel.