What are the top 3 Must do things in San Francisco

1. Ride a cable car up one of the hills and revel in this quintessential SF experience. It’s free to ride cable cars with a city bus pass, so sometimes I take one to work and it’s just awesome. If it suits your itinerary, you should also try taking the historic F Streetcar down Market–the antique streetcars have themes, like an Italian streetcar with a bunch of Italian ads on the walls.
  2. Take the following long walk: Start in downtown SF. For a longer walk, start at the Ferry Building on the Embarcadero, and browse all the fabulously expensive and gorgeous organic food shops–indulge yourself with some caviar on the $500 traveler’s check, maybe. Or for a shorter walk, start at the Powell St. BART station, where you can see a bunch of old men playing chess on the Market St. sidewalk. Shop at some of the big stores if you like–I love Anthropologie, H&M, and Lush. Head through Chinatown. Stop for some dim sum. Wander into some of the weird little Chinese shops to look at jars of dried seahorses, sled-sized woks, or piles of golden joss paper. From Chinatown, head to North Beach. Linger for a cappuccino and pastry in an Italian cafe or two, browse around in City Lights, and grab an assortment of the amazing XOX Truffles. From North Beach, go up to Coit Tower, head up to the top, enjoy the view. You could maybe go from there to Fisherman’s Wharf and see the sea lions lounging on the docks–the only worthwhile thing at Fisherman’s Wharf, in my opinion.
  3. Head up to Ocean Beach and walk from there to the ruins of the Sutro Baths. Hike out to Land’s End and enjoy a lovely view of the Golden Gate Bridge (or fog, as the case may be). This is really gorgeous and evocative and you could pair it with a trip to the zoo or a walk through Golden Gate Park, past the big windmill, stopping at the Japanese Tea Garden or Botanical Garden, with your walk ending in the Haight, where you can buy some records at Amoeba or some hookahs and incense just about anywhere else. I have to say I love all the clothing stores on Haight Street.
  4. I’m too poor to eat at any of these places, so I’ve never tried most of them. However, SF foodies swear by the following restaurants, so you could try one or more: Boulevard, Masa’s, Gary Danko, Greens, Millennium, Zuni Cafe. Aqua, Rubicon, Farallon, Absinthe, Alma, Foreign Cinema. Etc.
  5. Take a walk through the Mission and the adjacent Castro. As mentioned before, the Valencia corridor is particularly delightful. There are lots of murals to look at, a million bookstores with cats to browse in, and delicious Mexican and Central American food. There’s an Indian market with the most delicious ice cream in all kinds of exotic flavors, like saffron, rose, pistachio, and cardamom. There are fun thrift stores mixed in with adorable and costly boutiques. If you’re there at night, there are a million cute bars, and nearby, on Market Street, is the Mint, the best karaoke bar in SF.

Yes, this is more than three suggestions, but #s 1 and 4 lend themselves to combination with one of the other three so they don’t count. :slight_smile:

On the way up, you could stop at Hearst Castle, Monterey or Carmel, Ano Nuevo (if it’s elephant seal season), or maybe Solvang --a ridiculously cute/tacky little Danish town.

I was extremely underwhelmed by the Exploratorium. I put aside a day for it, and walked out after a couple of hours. The exhibits were poorly maintained, and the explanations were either poorly written or non-existant. Overall, very shoddy.

Plan B was to walk from the Exploratorium to the Bay Bridge, which was infinitely more satisfying.

1. The Marin Headlands are not for the casual cyclist. Since you’ll have a car, drive instead. While you’re there, hike around a bit and look at the wildflowers, which will be just past their peak when you go, I think. Get a copy of the “Wildflowers of Marin” brochure here http://www.nps.gov/goga/maps/#brochures or at their office and hike around on your own. Or there are 2 guided walks (reservations required) that you might consider.[ul][li]Shore Wildflower Hike (4/3)[/li][li]If you have a camera and tripod, Wildflower Photography Hike (4/2)[/li][/ul]More info here: http://www.nps.gov/goga/parknews/events/index.htm

2. Drive to the top of Mt. Tamalpais and the Berkeley hills above the UC for more great views.

Well, having not been to San Francisco, just a quick pop in to cross reference my thread. Depending on where you’re staying, like I said in that one, I’ll be at Grandviews on top of the Grand Hyatt at around 1900. Drop me an email if you want.

Matt

It’s between 4th and 5th on Howard.

I third the suggestion of City Lights Bookstore.

Then take your purchases and trudge up Telegraph Hill, and take in the extremely cool WPA murals in the base of Coit Tower.

Well, they are pretty hilly, but i would describe myself as a casual cyclist at absolute best, and i managed.

I’m in my mid-30s, about 20 pounds heavier than i want to be, and i’ve been really bad about exercise over the last year or so. I found the Marin Headlands tough but doable, as long as you’re not in a rush and are happy to take a break when you get puffed.

The lowest gear of a 24-speed bike is pretty good for dragging my lazy ass up the hills of Marin and SF. I’m nowhere near the fastest thing on the road—hell, on some steep sections i drop below walking pace—but i get there.

My choices:

I second (or third) Beach Blanket Babylon. Stop for Italian food in North Beach before the show, and walk the block over. I like to see the show every five years or so.

Take the ferry to Sausalito and walk back across the Golden Gate Bridge.

If you’re up for it, take a walking tour of the city, especially one that concentrates on the hidden staircases Try this book.

1. Beach Blanket Babylon. No doubt about it. No ifs, ands or buts. An absolute must.

2. Alcatraz. The touristy tour is actually very good, well-run, informative, enjoyable and thought-provoking. Don’t go during the day… take one of the late afternoon or evening tours when the light is fading.

3. The Exploratorium. You won’t believe how beautiful and stunning the surrounding buildings and landscape are, and the Exploratorium itself is the finest of its kind in the world.

Okay, so you only asked for three, but others have transgressed and so I can too…

1. Teatro Zin Zanni. An amazing theatre experience unlike any other. Five course meal and rather strange cabaret variety entertainment (everything from singing to acrobatics) performed ‘in the round’.

2. Napa Valley. But you really need to go there with someone who knows their way around the best few wineries and vineyards and knows how to book ahead at those places where advance booking is advisable.

3. Muir Woods. Wonderful and inspiring walks through some of the tallest trees in the world. Beautiful, and very easy to enjoy even if you’re not that much into walking / nature.

4. Golden Gate Bridge. Make sure you visit the southern end where there are some exhibits about how it was made, including a cross-section of one of the supporting cables showing just how many individual wires go into their construction.

5. The San Francisco equivalent of Central Park. Sorry, don’t know it’s exact name, but it’s excellent.

6. Ghost Hunt, run by Jim Fassbinder. Intriguing, entertaining, magical, delightful, stories and history, facts and fun, all presented by one of the most engaging characters in the city.

You are driving to SF from LA? What was this, second prize? What was first prize, swimming to Hawaii?

I have been to SF three times in my life…underwhelming is the best I can say, and I am a Gay man!

I personally would drive a little further north and go to Russian River.

WOW! I post a thread and walk away for a few days and you guys deliver the goods. Thanks much! I am well on my way to an awesome (and much needed) vacation, keep em comming.

Now onto the more serious matter of most of you not knowing how many 3 is… :wink:

I missed this on preview, so I will double post (my thread dammit, I can double post if I want!)

I actually had the option of flying and getting a limo to and from the airport (my employers rock), but I will be going up with a handful of friends. So, since I am the only one who has all travel expences covered, we decided to make it a road trip.

Besides, I like the drive up the cost. I just haven’t made it quite that far noirth as an adult. Last time I was in San Francisco was when I was 15.

Oh, and as long as you are driving up there…Moro Bay is kind of interesting and from there it is a short drive up to Hearrst Castle