What are the top industries for employment in the USA?

The article below says the high-tech industry is the third-largest employer in the USA. This made me wonder, what are the top two industries for employment in the USA?

My guess is the service industry is #1. Manufacturing used to be one of the top, but I don’t think so anymore.

TECH WORKERS GOOD AS GOLD
The high technology industry’s rapid expansion has made the industry the third-largest employer in the nation, according to a survey by the American Electronics Association. The high-tech industry has created more jobs than any other since 1990 while wages grow faster than in most other industries. Wages continue to rise due to a consistent demand for tech workers, allowing qualified workers to switch jobs frequently, commanding better salaries each time. Despite the rapid growth of the industry, there remain too few tech workers while technology develops constantly. Facing a lack of new employee resources, companies recruit employees from other technology companies and other industries. Systems integrator BTG reported that it will spend up to $1.5 million training new employees, nearly a 100 percent increase in training expenses from last year.
(Washington Times 06/02/99)

Isn’t government the largest employer? This would include state, federal, and local. Everything from the local dogcatcher up to the president.

Isn’t government the largest employer? This would include state, federal, and local. Everything from the local dogcatcher up to the president.

Don’t take life so serious. It ain’t nohow permanent