What are those spit wads on the weeds?

This morning while rescueing a couple of baby chickadees, I noticed that a lot of the weeds in the field behind my house had what looked like spit on them. Globs of bubbles. There isn’t anyone over there so I know it isn’t spit. And it’s on lots of weeds.

In an aquarium, it might be a bubble nest, but I don’t think any fish are out there building nest in an open field.

What the heck is that?

Jim

My mom always told me that “spit bugs” live in 'em.

It’s commonly called “cuckoo spit” (and famed for being one of the first signs of summer round here). It’s actually made by the nymphs of the spittlebug that live in the froth - if you clear it away you can see them sometimes.

That is an excellent question. I grew up in northern Louisiana and was always told that it was “snake spit”. We always stayed away from patches that had lots of snake spit in them.

BTW, this is a spittlebug nymph.

Well, what do you know - my mom was right about the spit bugs - she just forgot a syllable! :slight_smile:

I went and looked again. I found the little bug. Look here.

Jim

Yep, Jim, they’re spittlebugs, aka froghoppers, not to be confused with leafhoppers, although they’re all related to cicadas. The adults look like tiny cicadas. There are many different kinds of spittlebugs; the nymphs suck the juice out of different plant species. To control them in a garden, ya can wash them out with a good spray of water. Bubble protection gone, no more spittlebug.

Hope the chickadees are OK, though…

Well, elelle, I thought that art was over till I went out this evening to do some more yard work and found one of them setting on the ground where I was getting ready to work. I took it to it’s house and am hoping for the best. It’s family is not that happy with me messing with it, but we had a talk and I think we got things straight. I don’t speak Chickadee all that well, but I figured out what Momma Chickadee was saying and it wasn’t nice.

Jim

I [heart] chickadees.

Jim, baby birds are on the ground for a few days before they fly. The parents feed and look after them while they’re fledging. It seems hard, but leave 'em alone and let nature take it’s course. They’ll learn to fly soon.

I agree, racinchikki, I love chickadees also. And my mom always called those little things spitbugs too. :slight_smile: Jim, it seems you always manage to find a lot of interesting ‘critters’ in your yard and surrounds. I’m glad you were able to help out the baby chickadees. I’m sure once she calmed down, Momma Chickadee realized you were just trying to help.

I agree, racinchikki, I love chickadees also. And my mom always called those little things spitbugs too. :slight_smile: Jim, it seems you always manage to find a lot of interesting ‘critters’ in your yard and surrounds. I’m glad you were able to help out the baby chickadees. I’m sure once she calmed down, Momma Chickadee realized you were just trying to help.