What Are You Reading To Your Kids?

I’ve been reading The Hobbit to my five year old son: we’re nearly finished - The Battle Of The Five Armies has just been won, and there were a few tears shed over Thorin’s death, but in the main he’s loving it. It was a little slow going at first - some of the tougher or more archaic language needs an off-the-cuff edit - but once we got to the trolls it was all gravy, and the fight with the spiders in Mirkwood was a particular delight, which is regularly renacted by jumping on and off the sofa, brandishing a plastic lightsabre and yelling “Attercop! Troglodytes! Jellyfish!” {Bilbo has mysteriously become conflated with Captain Haddock, for reasons which escape me}. We are also now supplied with enough pictures of Smaug in his lair {with cameo appearances by Gollum and the spiders} to paper the living room, and have had endless fun sitting down drawing dragons - I still can’t figure out how to do realistic wings - and figuring out how to depict invisible hobbits.

What are you reading to your kids, and how’s it going?

I’m reading to my son the Tintin comic books. His grandmother is not too happy about the frequent use of guns but my son loves them. He has built the spaceship that carries Tintin to the moon out of legos. He is 4 and a half.

Right now I am reading *Tom Sawyer * to my 9 and 12 year olds. We do a lot of read aloud, especially in the summer on hot, lazy afternoons. Bedtime read aloud to my 9 year old is Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing. The 12 year old is reading Harry Potter.

We still read aloud to both of them, just 'cause it’s fun.

I am reading those Alice in Bibleland books to all three (9,7,5); Tom Sawyer to the 9 & 7; and The Oak in the Acorn to the 5 y/o. They love to be read to out loud, even thought all three can read at some level.

During the school year, I read The House With the Clock in Its Walls to my students.

I highly recommend it to anyone. It’s aimed at grades 6-8.

We are reading The sword in the stone right now, and we just escaped from Madame Mim. The first night we tried it I read two chapters, and my 7yo daughter loved the real-information bits and hated the way Sir Ector and King Pellinore talked. It wasn’t knightly enough, and it was too weird and modern. She decided to go for a second night to see if she could stand it, and now she likes it.

I just read my 7 year old Follow My Leader.

Loved and remembered this book from my youth… about a kid who is blinded and gets a seeing eye dog.

Yeah, we’ve done all the Tintin books, and they’re abiding favourites: Captain Haddock is a particular favourite, and the young un’ even went to a fancy dress party last Christmas dressed as the good captain, complete with pipe - although I drew the line at a whiskey bottle. No, seriously.

HP7 for my nine year old. He likes me to read aloud to him. Last book we read aloud was DragonRider.

He reads (and loves) the TinTin books by himself. He is my reluctant reader–I am very grateful I cottoned on to Tintin.

Fox in Socks, for all three of mine (6, 2 and 1). A dozen times a day. Shoot me now.

We (my 11-year-old and I) are still reading The Count of Monte Cristo which we’ve been doing for a couple of months now. (Took a break while he went to camp, another break while he read HPand the Deathly Hallows). Between the 700-page book and the 1400-page book he’s logged a lotta words this summer.

Wanna trade? I got Chicka Chicka Boom Boom and three toddlers (1,2 and 3, but only one is mine. The others are just here all the time.)

My youngest is going into her junior year of college, but I read to her right through high school. What I remember off the top of my head, over the years

The Black Stallion
all the Ramona books
Animal Farm
To Kill a Mockingbird
Alice in Wonderland
The Martian Chronicles
Seven or eight Oz books

plus about 30 Nancy Drews, and ten or 12 Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys books.

I would MSTie the Nancy Drew books. It wasn’t until late in high school, when she read one herself, that she discovered that the name of their housekeeper wasn’t Hannah Gruesome. :slight_smile:

Reading to your kids is great. I miss it.

My daughter is 4 months old. Every evening, we read “Guess How Much I Love You”, but during the day, I read her a few pages of “The Wind in the Willows” before each nap.

My daughter’s 2 & a bit. We read The Gruffalo and all the other other Julia Donaldson/Axel Schaeffler books, Edward Lear (Owl&Pussycat, Quangle-Wangle’s Hat), Sendak (Night Kitchen, WTWTA), the Russell The Sheep series by Rob Scotton, and many, many more. Also Seuss, Hungry Caterpillar, Guess How Much I love You, Bringing Down The Moon, Grimm’s Fairy Stories, Mother Goose, Winnie The Pooh, Pratchett’s Where’s My Cow, Gaiman’s The Wolves in the Walls

her library’s getting bigger than mine. Current favourite is How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight? by Yolen & Teague. I love it too - surreal, but wonderful art.

Oh, those are great books. We read a lot of Lynley Dodd when he was younger, too, but now we’ve graduated to “proper reading stories”: he was immensely proud that The Hobbit had no pictures. Still, Slinky Malinki just has to be dusted off every now and then.

What else have we read? All of the Narnia books, The Wind In The Willows {twice - we went through a phase of Mr Toad re-enactments, compared to which Civil War re-enactors are the merest dabblers}, Alice, much of Roald Dahl {whom I’m not particularly fond of, but Charlie And The Chocolate Factory and James And The Giant Peach have been read at least twice}, Mrs Frisby And The Rats Of NIMH, and of course Philip Pullman’s kids’ stories: The Scarecrow And His Servant {a retelling of Don Quixote featuring an empty-headed but kind-hearted and valorous Scarecrow and the resourceful little boy who aids him through the world} is highly recommended.

The Sword In The Stone is an excellent idea for the next read, actually.

My not-quite-2-year-old absolutely adores The Gruffalo - also Russel the Sheep,My Sheep Book and Where is the Green Sheep? (basically, you can’t go wrong with sheep, in this house). Also multiple readings of Stories Jesus Told (also contains sheep) and Very Hungry Caterpillar (no sheep, but apparently still acceptable)

The not-quite-4-year-old wants to read books about craft all the time. She doesn’t care if we actually do the craft or not, she just wants to read about it. Also been working our way (multiple times) through a Shirlel Hughes Alfie omnibus.

My one and half year old loves Each Peach Pear Plum, until it was read to pieces, every reading session would include a reading from EPPP. Just saying the title of the book would have Rosa off searching for it :slight_smile:

The Quangle Wangle by Lear is another good one that she likes, I’m trying to get her onto books with a bit more text, but with pictures and the like for her to point at to keep her occupied.

Scissorjack, The Hobbit? That’s impressive!

Mahaloth, I love the John Bellairs books, especially the Lewis Barnavelt ones. I give them and recommend them anytime I can.

Those of you with children small enough for picture books might try Don’t Let The Pigeon Drive The Bus! by Mo Willems. There are other Pigeon books too.

My kids’ reading routine has fallen apart a little bit, what with them going off on various trips this summer. The last book we read aloud was Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli, which was okay. shrug
My fifteen year old girl just finished HP7, and is starting to read the series over again.
My ten year old boy is still working on HP7, and I have a book coming from the library, Grimm’s Grimmest, which will probably be our next bedtime reading.

I’m currently reading the Wayside School stories to my little sister. (She’s 6.)

I’ll probably start the Redwall series after we’re through with this one.