What are your favorite books on ecology?

It’s a broad topic, I know. I’ve read Jared Diamond, Kevin Kelly and Buckminster Fuller, but I’ve yet to make a sustained effort to deeply understand the field. Where should I start?

Moving to Cafe Society from IMHO.

I enjoyed a lot of Edward Abby’s work, although more philosophy than anything.

Love John McPhee’s The Pine Barrens and Encounters with the Archdruid. Well written, very informative and an excellent introduction to the start of popular environmentalism in the late 20th century.

Farley Mowat is another entertaining and informative voice from that era, though more aggressive in tone. (Both of these are focused on North American ecology and environmentalism, I don’t know if you’re looking only for more global studies.)

And to “deeply understand the field”, of course, you need to read the seminal—hell, iconic—environmentalist author Rachel Carson.

I’m not sure how you’re defining ecology, but The Song of the Dodo is a great read. (Thanks to twickster for turning me on to this book!)

It’s always fun to read Leopold’s Sand County Almanac. Spinoza also did some nice stuff about deep ecology.

Try Drifting into Darien: A Personal and Natural History of the Altamaha River.

Janise Ray is an exquisite writer, and even if you’ve never heard of the Altamaha River before, you will fall in love with this book if you are interested in the environment and ecology.