What are your favorite one-hit wonders? (gathering nominations for a possible poll)

I already used up my picks and seconds, but I must agree that Procul Harum’s “Whiter Shade of Pale” is a great choice, and I hope someone seconds it.

I just choked on my lunch at Heart and Soul by T’Pau. You mean China In Your Hand wasn’t a hit in the US and Heart and Soul was?!

Need to second this also. :smiley:

Steve Forbert - Romeo’s Tune

Ultravox - Vienna

Digable Planets - Rebirth Of Slick (Cool Like Dat)

Deee-Lite - Groove Is In The Heart

**US3 **- Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia)

I’m surprised nobody has nominated nerd goddess Lisa Loeb.

Arlo Guthrie - City of New Orleans (Alice’s Restaurant did not chart)

Depending on how you want to define “Brit Pop,” the only bands to have some mainstream success here are Oasis and Coldplay (though post-Brit Pop Coldplay). Pulp never charted. Suede (apparently known as “the London Suede” on Billboard charts here) has nothing on the Hot 100, but “Metal Mickey” did place top 10 on the Alternative Songs chart (their only charter there.) Radiohead might even be conceivably called a “one-hit wonder” for “Creep.” (Their only top 40 song in the 90s; apparently “Nude” hit #37 in 2008.)

Blur is pretty much only known for the “Woo-hoo song” (“Song #2”) in reasonably mainstream US pop culture. “Boy and Girls” is reasonably well-known among the crowd I hang out with, but that’s because I was a freshman or sophomore in college when that was released. I don’t really recall hearing it outside the college context.

This whole thread is making me question everything I thought I knew about the world. Turns out we’re not just divided by a common language. Someone just mentioned Ultravox and Kate Bush. Kate Bush! Wowsers.

Perhaps we need to start a British music mix tape.

On the flip side, I guess there’s a billion country music stars we’ve never heard of.

My favorite no-hit wonder is Tom Paxton, who has probably written more hit songs for other people , but never charted for himself.

Wait, the T’Pau post wasn’t tongue-in-cheek? Never heard of either of the songs or the artist. Just listened to them, and I got nuthin’.

I’ll nominate “Hold Your Head Up” by Argent, 1972 hit.

If one-hit is defined as US charts, then Friday on my Mind by The Easybeats should qualify:

They had many hits in Australia and the UK certainly but I am pretty sure this was their only charting song in the US.

Technically, Dolby doesn’t qualify–“Hyperactive” charted higher than “Science” in the US, but “Science” charted higher in the UK.

Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto - you’re beautiful!

Black Betty, Ram Jam

Mississippi Queen, Mountain

I thought that might be the case, but didn’t do my research. :o
I also wanted to nominate “Ah Leah!” by Donnie Iris. Can’t have that one either!

Wallflowers - One Headlight

seems like it deserves a mention

I’m going to second Iron Butterfly & In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. Iron Butterfly is almost the poster child for one hit wonder.
My contributions:

Martika, Toy Soldiers. According to Wikipedia she had three singles that broke the top 40 in the U.S., but really she’s known for Toy Soldiers, and that’s it.

Eurythmics, Sweet Dreams. Same as Martika. The had several other songs that broke the top 40, but the Eurythmics is synonymous with Sweet Dreams.

Dream Academy, Life in a Northern Town. Dream Academy released three albums, the first was the only one to get much attention, and from that album Life in a Northern Town was the only song to get much attention. The song was hugely successful, and the band performed it SNL, Carson, and the like. They did one tour and then… nothing. They simply faded away.

Georgia Satellites, Keep Your Hands to Yourself. Their only top 40 song.

Timmy Thomas - Why Can’t We Live Together is the one I haven’t seen mentioned yet.

Others I will second (or third?):
Easybeats - Friday on My Mind
Mungo Jerry - In The Summertime
Swingin’ Medallions - Double Shot of My Baby’s Love
Starland Vocal Band - Afternoon Delight

Rock On by David Essex

If I was still eating my lunch, I would be choking on it again. David Essex? Eurythmics? At least there is an acknowledgement that Eurythmics had other hits, but over here their Greatest Hits CD was one of the biggest sellers ever. And it had more than one track on it…

I really can’t agree with this. “Here Comes The Rain Again” and “Would I Like to You?” were both huge here, too, top 5 hits. Calling them a one-hit wonder is really stretching the term beyond usefulness.