What are your favorite one-hit wonders? (gathering nominations for a possible poll)

What are your favorite one-hit wonders? If I get ambitious enough I will turn this into a poll one day.

Please submit no more than 5 of your own nominations and/or second any already nominated you feel are worthy (max 5 titles per Doper). Those seconded will go into the poll. If you cite more than 5 I will accept only the first 5.

Mine (and please submit in this format):

Looking Glass - Brandy (You’re a Fine Girl)
Iron Butterfly - In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
Blind Melon - No Rain
Norman Greenbaum - Spirit in the Sky
The Surfaris - Wipe Out

I know there are some gray areas as to what constitutes a one-hit wonder. The judge will make all determinations. The judge is me.
mmm

John Fred and his Playboy Band - Judy in Disguise (with Glasses)
Napoleon XIV -They’re Coming to Take Me Away, Ha, Ha!
Alice Merton - No Roots
Merton quite likely will lose her one-hit wonder status eventually.

I’m not sure of the judging criteria, and caveated with the inevitable “…but they also had another hit that charted at #72 on the Guam Hot 100 charts…” responses, but here’s the most recent from my playlists…

Nena - 99 Luftaballons
Masters of Reality - She Got Down
The Icicle Works - Whisper to a Scream
The Buggles - Video Killed the Radio Star
Michael Penn - No Myth

Mungo Jerry - In The Summertime

Harvey Danger - Flagpole Sitta
Toadies - Possum Kingdom
These are the ones that immediately come to mind for me. Except for Blind Melon which you already mentioned in the OP (and which I think is an all time great tune).

Hot Rod Lincoln, the Commander Cody version.
Popcorn, by Hot Butter
Rock Me Amadeus by Falco
I’m too Sexy by Right Said Fred
More today than Yesterday - Spiral Starecase

Tommy Tu-Tone - 867-5309

And at least from a US perspective:

T’Pau - Heart and Soul
Dexys Midnight Runners - Come on Eileen

And I’ll second:

Blind Melon - No Rain
Mungo Jerry - In The Summertime

When it comes to the best one-hit wonder there can be only one:

The Kings - This Beat Goes On/Switching To Glide

/thread

The Buggles – Video Killed The Radio Star
Gary Numan – Cars
Men Without Hats – Safety Dance
Big Country – In A You-know-what
Charlene – I’ve Never Been To Me

Already mentioned:

Looking Glass - Brandy
The Buggles - Video Killed the Radio Star

Adding:
Dean Friedman - Ariel
Hurricane Smith - Oh, Babe What Would You Say
Ides of March - Vehicle

Tough to narrow it down to five. But, without debating the definitions of “one” and “hit,” and in no particular order:

Rob Jungklas - Memphis Thing
The Music Explosion - Little Bit O’ Soul
Lee Michaels - Do You Know What I Mean
Swingin’ Medallions - Double Shot (Of My Baby’s Love)
The Polecats - Make A Circuit With Me

There are several already listed that I’d second, but I’ll hold off for now.

My nominations…

The Normal – Warm Leatherette (1978)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG3PnQ3tgzYTaco - Puttin’ on the Ritz (1982)

“Louis Louis” by The Kingsmen. The recording is shoddy with a vocal miscue. This cover of the song is great in outsized influence.

“Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm” by Crash Test Dummies. This one is a weird personal favorite.

“Touch of Grey” by the Grateful Dead. It’s not their best song, but for my taste this is best group to have only one top 50 hit.

I concur with “No Rain” and “Video Killed the Radio Star” to round out my top 5 picks.

Also…
Until now, I did not know that “In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida” was released as a single. I had to look this up. The US release with 2 minute 53 seconds edited length hit #30 on the on the US Billboard chart. The 17+ minute album version is the endeared classic popular version of this song IMHO.

I wanted to include “96 Tears” by ? and the Mysterians, but apparently “I Need Somebody” reached #22 on the US Billboard chart.

Blur, Song no.2

Most of mine were mentioned but I’ll add “In The Year 2525” by Zager & Evans

Outstanding selection, wish I had thought of it.

I’m not going to allow the Grateful Dead tune (Truckin’, Casey Jones).

“No Rain” and “Video” have already been seconded.

Therefore, EM, you still have 3 more picks if you want them.
mmm

I’ll add “There She Goes” by the La’s. OK, it didn’t crack the Top 40 (peaked at #49), but it did hit #2 on the Billboard alternative chart. The Sixpence None the Richer cover did crack the Top 40 (#32), but I’m nominating the original.

There’s always a-ha’s “Take on Me” which did reach #1, but is complicated by the fact that they apparently had two other charting singles on the US charts. So, like the above, it’s going to be a matter of definitions.

Modern English’s “Melt With You” seems to be around everywhere these days, but in the band’s heyday, they only hit #76 on Billboard. That said, it did hit #7 on the Mainstream Rock chart (and the band’s other charting hit “Hands Across the Sea” only barely cracked the Hot 100, and only charted #47 on the Modern Rock chart, so I think this one can count, no?)

Then, I dunno. I’ll take “Cars” by Gary Numan and, of course, “Louie Louie” by the Kingsmen.

Already seconded, burpo, select another if you like.
mmm

Focus Hocus Pocus
Starbuck Moonlight feels Right
The Raspberries Go all the Way- Eric Carmen singer and guitarist had some solo hits, so maybe that doesn’t count
Georgia Satellites Keep your hands to yourself, or was their cover of Hippy, Hippy Shake a hit??
Marmalade Reflections

Blues Image - Ride Captain Ride