What is your favorite one-hit wonder?

Vote for as many as you like. Based on nominations and seconds from this thread.

Have fun. And hey, hey! Let’s be careful out there!
mmm

^ Hill Street Blues theme isn’t on the list; don’t confuse us! :smiley:

Favorite implies one, so “Come on Eileen” it is!

My favorite one-hit-wonder is also my favorite song of all time: Modern English - I Melt With You.

I voted for a few songs, but I’m most impressed with Flagpole Sitta by Harvey Danger. I remember when it came out I only really heard the chorus, but this song has some gems:

Hear the voices in my head
I swear to god it sounds like they’re snoring

And this weird escalation:

Put me in the hospital for nerves
And then they had to commit me
You told them all I was crazy
They cut off my legs now I’m an amputee, god damn you

This is my new favorite song, lol.

I object to an artist (Neneh Cherry) with a #3 US song and a #8 US song as a OHW. Also, I don’t know how “7 Seconds” only hit #98 in the US, but it was a big hit everywhere else and I remember hearing it constantly everywhere in 1994, and I never left the US. That said, I guess technically that isn’t a US hit. “Kisses on the Wind” which was all over US Top 40 radio in the summer of 1989 and peaked at #8, certainly does qualify as a hit.

I know. I caught that I messed the title up too late.

Multiple selections allowed.
mmm

You’re in good company.

Always had a soft spot for “Brandy.” Remember when it first came out.

“Go All the Way” by the Raspberries is a close second.

It’s not on the list (cuz I didn’t suggest it, I guess) but today I was browsing the local Goodwill and “Mambo Number 5” came on the radio. Everyone in the store was bopping along, most of us singing. It was very cute.

I didn’t think I’d be able to pick one. So many good ones, and ones not even listed … . .then I saw, “My Sharona”. That guitar solo changed my life as very young teen.

Always been fond of Hurricane Smith. Sniff N the Tears, Argent, Raspberries, Wild Cherry, Iron Butterfly, manic Focus. . .even cheesy Sammy Johns, I loved that Chevy Van song and still do I was seeing a girl named Eileen when that song came out

Great selection of songs, OP.

I immediately thought of a dozen One Hit Wonders from the 70s that aren’t on the list… Green Eyed Lady, Venus, Kung Fu Fighting… all because I was too busy last week to help with nominations.

Sigh… at least the ones that sap my will to live aren’t on the list (Honey, Afternoon Delight, and the inimitable Disco Duck)

Molly Hatchet’s Flirtin’ With Disaster.

ETA: interesting thread: Who was Molly Hatchet - Factual Questions - Straight Dope Message Board

Break my stride - Matthew Wilder.

If it makes you feel any better, **Venus **is there (and rightfully trending right up there with the leaders). On the bad news side, so is Afternoon Delight; it killed me to add it, there are few songs I hate as much as I do that one.

I’m very pleased with the action Spirit in the Sky is getting. When it was released, I recall informing my older brother of its awesomeness, to which he immediately and strongly disagreed. I still love it, 49 years later.
mmm

Damn, I’d completely forgotten about Rico Suave. I can’t wait to forget about it again.

Great tune, and one of my nominations from the other thread. I was just looking up the song to check on some info about the slightly longer album vs single version (the album version elongates the “the future’s open wide” section–I occasionally hear the full version on one of those internet streaming services, and noticed that Modern English re-recorded the song for their 1990 album Pillow Lips. I was somehow unaware of this. Apparently, also the single version is in mono (or reprocessed stereo from the mono single), for some reason, while the (30 second longer) UK album version is in true stereo.

Take on Me is probably my favorite song on that list but Fountains of Wayne is probably the best band.

Ooooh… good one

Simple Minds - Don’t you forget about me