Best one-hit wonder song of the 80's?

I happened to catch VH1’s countdown of the top one-hit wonder songs of the
80’s.

When I started watching it, I thought the answer was a no-brainer. VH1, however, chose Come on, Eileen, by Dexy’s Midnight Runners.

A one-hit wonder, for sure. But the best? Not even close, IMO.

The first song that popped into my head was

**867-5309/Jenny **by Tommy Tutone. (I think it was #3 or #4)

So, what say you, oh teeming millions? Your choice?

I HATE Come on Eileen.

The phone number song is a nice choice. What about “She’s Like the Wind” from Dirty Dancing? That was 80’s, wasn’t it, and IIRC, Patrick Swayze’s sole contribution to popular music.

Take On Me by a-ha. Greatest 80s song, not just greatest one-hit wonder. (got the #3 spot on VH1’s list.

Either Come On, Eileen or** Rock Me, Amadeus**.

I fear this will devolve into what counts as a one-hit wonder or not. Nearly every artist who has one good hit will have another that at least charted.

**Take On Me **is my #2. Not only a great song, but one of the coolest videos ever… (when MTV actually *showed *music videos). Man, I’m showing my age.

Bitter Heart by Seona Dancing (sung by a young Ricky Gervais!)

I’ll nominate the 81’ version of Tainted Love by Soft Cell

M/A/R/R/S’ “Pump Up The Volume”. The sampling, the beat, the randomness-it was just quintessential 80s. On top of that, there was no follow-up single that even touched the charts, they did two songs and that was it.

a-ha is far from a one hit wonder. Might as well put “Thriller” on that list. Falco had “Der Kommissar”, so “Amadeus” shouldn’t be on there.

I don’t mind “867-5309”, but it doesn’t deserve the #1 spot. Sorry Tommy.

Put on your overalls and sing too-ra-loo-rye-aye, “Come on Eileen” is deserving of the #1 spot.

“Tarzan Boy”, by Baltimora

I think I’d agree with this, just on the uniqueness of the song. It was like some kind of weird English country music; a total departure from the new-wave and synth pop which marked the musical atmosphere of that decade.

“Hey all you homeboys out in bronx, this one’s for you!”

I was going to say Sunglasses At Night, but apparently Corey Hart did pretty throughout the 80’s in Canada.

I Melt With You by Modern English gets my vote.

Come On Eileen conjures up too many naughty images for me.

Turning Japanese by The Vapors.

Falco’s Der Kommisarwas not a hit in the US or UK.

I remember having an argument over the results of some similar poll with my ex-husband. We couldn’t come to any agreement, and I had to go somewhere, so as I walked out, he called after me, “As soon as you close that door, I’m going to BLAST Come On Eileen!” The unfortunate verb choice and word order of that sentence absolutely slew me, and I was rendered incapable of going anywhere for a while…

There were really some good one hit wonders of the eighties and I can’t give a definitive answer, but I do have a soft spot for Heart and Soul, by T’Pau.

“Vienna Calling” was, though.

Corey Hart had “Never Surrender” in the U.S., too, which was not far behind “Sunglass at Night” in popularity.

I should have put some parameters on this. I believe (and someone please correct me if I’m wrong), VH1’s method was to look at US charts only (many of the bands/singers had multiple hits in the UK, for example).

I also believe that each one of the songs had to be a big hit in the US (not sure if they required a #1 ranking, but close), and they had no other song that made a significant impact on the charts. Again, US only. a-ha, as mentioned, had some other songs, but nothing as successful as **Take On Me **in the US.

I put **Come On Eileen **in the same category as Safety Dance. Horrid noise, and I could never understand the appeal.

One Night in Bangkok