What biblical passage talks about "rapture"?

What biblical verse explicitly discusses the rapture?

Some say it’s God’s promise to the church of Philidelphia in Revelations 3:10:

“Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will also keep from you the hour of trial that is going to come to the whole world to test those who live on the Earth.”

The interpretation of those who believe in the Rapture is the true belivers won’t have to suffer through it because they won’t be on the Earth anymore.

Also in the first letter to the Thessalonians:

“For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever.”

The word ‘rapture’ doesn’t appear, however.

Also, Revelation 20: 1-6

1 And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.
2 And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,
3 And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.
4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

It does in the verse I quoted.

“After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air.”

“deinde nos qui vivimus qui relinquimur simul rapiemur cum illis in nubibus obviam Domino in aera et sic semper cum Domino erimus”

But you’re translating from Latin. The letter to the Thessalonians was written in Greek, and the word is Greek for ‘caught up.’

http://cityoflight.net/view_rapture.htm

Right, but as your site says, the term “rapture” comes from the Latin translation of the text. Whether it’s a good translation or not is a different question, but the term is biblical…it’s just not the original Greek

The Greek word is harpazo, which would appear to share some sort of common root with the latin rapere - the words both mean to (suddenly) take away or to steal. (Think ‘Raptor’)

<< The Greek word is harpazo >>

He’s the guy who hung around with Grouchazo and Chicazo?

Well, there’s Matthew 24:5, “it is easier for a rapture to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get into heaven.” And there’s the Letter to the Philadelphians 3:16, “Thou shalt not rapture thy neighbor’s wife nor his ass.”

Never did understand what’s so rapturous 'bout a man’s ass.

I dunno-have you ever SEEN Noah Wyle’s ass?
Oooh baby!
:smiley:

Well, no… but, since he played Steve Jobs in Pirates of Silicon Valley waaay back in 1999, and since you find his ass to be admirable, does that mean he’s a…

Butt-Pirate?

::whistles::

:wink: