What bodily quirks/mutations/oddities do you have?

I’m blind in one eye from birth.

Up until age 40 or so, I could easily touch my elbows behind my back. It was a struggle to do it all by myself but someone could grab my elbows and touch them.

I’m uncircumcised, since I was born in the UK, Scotland specifically. Now you’re thinking “that’s a quirk?”

Try growing up in a society where you’re dick looks different from everyone else’s. It’s not so bad now, but in the 1970s everyone was circumcised and I was mortally embarrassed that my penis looked different. And, boys being boys, I was actually laughed at because of it.

My son is not circumcised, but I think society is less homogenous now than it was 40 years ago.

In what circumstance were peers in view of your penis? :eek:

Anyways, mine is minor. My large toe bone grows up, pushing my nail up and exposing the bone underneath. I had surgery on it a few years ago to remove it, but before the surgery the doctor said it may grow back. Luck me, it did. It’s not disabling, but it hurts like hell when someone steps on it! :o

I’m guessing locker rooms.

I dunno. I guess it was pretty common to pee outdoors when you left the house in the morning and didn’t come back till supper time.

Not to mention showers after gym, and sleepovers and stuff.

ETA: Yes Cat.

I have a phantom toe on each foot. Not from an amputated toe, I mean I have nerve sensation of six toes on each foot, but only actually posses the normal allotment of five on each foot. The phantom toes sometimes itch or need to be cracked, but they’re impossible to touch.

When I’m sitting or laying relaxed, my feet naturally fall in to the middle in a shockingly floppy curve. I didn’t know this was weird until people started freaking out about it, including in my bodywork/massage classes. No one can quite figure out if my inside tendons are too tight or my outside tendons are too stretchy. I don’t walk pigeon toed, though. Only when I’m resting and off my feet do my toes turn in.

I have gigantic nipples. I mean, really big. Even the lactation consultant, used to hearing this from normally sized women, sat back on the couch and said, “wow, you really DO have big nipples!” They are perfectly in proportion to my breasts, but those are also large. This was a problem when I had to pump milk - the largest available cones were still too small. But it was the best I could do, so I pumped with too small cones for 14 months. I have some pretty bad scar tissue in a ring around one nipple as a result, and spotted scarring around the other.

Nobody believes I don’t wear colored contacts. I don’t get the big deal, they’re the same blue eyes half of my family has. But I’m often hearing that they’re too blue to be real.

Enourmous Junk. 99.7% can’t be too wrong.

And bad spelinck.

Oh, I thought that stuff was always apocryphal. No way schools made guys undress in front of each other! :o

My Mother told me that when I was born I “stopped” 1/2 way through and the doctor pulled me out using forceps. So! I have a very red forceps mark on the small of my back. The mark is very noticeable to others…and of course, difficult for me to see. Not long ago I saw a dermatologist (for reasons unrelated to the mark) but she saw it and absolutely insisted that it is a port wine birthmark, not a forceps mark…but I tend to believe my own Mother who wouldn’t have any reason to make it up.

My fingers naturally separate into pairs–if my hands are hanging relaxed at my side, my middle and ring fingers don’t touch each other, but press against my index and pinky fingers instead. The Vulcan salute is a perfectly natural hand position for me. I also tend to use them in tandem. I can separate them all fully and use them normally.

I have a day-eye and a night-eye. My right eye has always had more acute vision (both before and after laser surgery), but my left eye has vastly better night vision.

Oh, and I leave four-toed tracks when barefoot.

I have a third nipple - it looks more like a mole than anything else but not quite a mole or birthmark. Just a mark on the underside of my right breast.

I also have a bicuspid aortic valve. Not uncommon, but still qualifies as a quirk, right?

Non-opposable thumbs.

Well, not quite, but I have almost zero mobility in the thumb joint where it merges with the palm - both sides, always been like that - cant tell you how hard the cub scout salute always was for me.

I can move the other joints above and below it, so I can oppose my thumb against three of my fingers, with incremental difficulty.

I have an extra nipple

I imagine the USA might have been quicker to implement locker room privacy than we were in the UK, but over here, I think most people over the age of 40 will have memories of communal showers after PE.

Our changing rooms were just a big tiled room with benches and coat hooks, adjoined to another big tiled room with rows of shower jets above head height - we stripped off in the changing room, then all bundled into the shower room to wash, then all trooped back into the changing room to dry off and dress.

I’m hypermobile. I can dislocate my shoulder throwing a tennis ball. I have spent some years training myself to not lock my knees back when I stand. I have rolled my ankles more times than I can remember, but serious injury is rare.

Oh, and my immune system is somewhat defective - this is illustrated by the fact that I have chronic Hepatitis B.

No armpit hair.

Very easy, I never have to shave or wax. My paternal grandmother lacked armpit hair too. Otherwise my hair is normal.

Both of my thumbs are (what I’ve always called) double-jointed. I can “pop out” the bottoms of them (closest to wrist) at will. My 11 year old son has the same thing.

I was born with Some Assembly Required. One of the several operations I had as a kid was done “hastily”. Which made me the only kid in school with an autopsy scar. I got used to the jokes about surviving the autopsy when I went swimming, and my friends got used to it.

The odd thing about the surgery were the my first words on waking. According to my folks, I said: “I’m cold.” And that is still my answer to any “How are you?” question today… 47 years later. I don’t know what nerve/ganglia was severed in their haste, but I feel cold almost all the time, even in Texas. My preferred temperature range is around 90F, and I’m quite comfortable sitting outside even at 95. During the summer, I spend a lot of time outside while the family is indoors enjoying the A/C.

I can reach my left hand around, up my back, and touch the back of my neck. Kind of stymied the school bullies, when they tried to wrestle me using that move:

Them: “You’re touching the back of your own neck from behind your back. This should hurt! C’mon, cry for us.”

Me (calmly, in no sign of distress): “No.”

At that point, if the assailant behind me was standing just right, I could knee-jerk behind, and put the heel of my foot in his balls. :smiley: