What Book are you currently reading?

Right now, I’m working on Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson.

I think the next book I’ll read will be Get Shorty by, uh… someone.

I just started The Shipping News by E. Annie Proulx, on a recommendation from Milossarian. Also just started Malignant Sadness by Lewis Wolpert.

(one for train reading, one for bedtime reading)

I think the author you are looking for is Elmore Leonard.

“Otherland” Series by Tad Williams.

I’m on “River of Blue Fire”.

Catching up on lost years: Moby Dick.

necronomicon was excellent.

I am finishing the 4th harry potter book tonight and then I start on “Serious Pig” a collection of essays by a travelling chef.

George R.R. Martin, A Storm of Swords. The third book in the best fantasy series I’ve read since Tolkien.

Re-reading The Black Dahila by James Ellroy.

Then I’m going to read about what really happened in* "Severed: The True Story of the Black Dahlia Murder* by John Gilmore.

Just finished the latest Dean Koontz, “False Memory” and started one of the Anne McCaffrey books that I’ve missed so far, “Renegades of Pern.”

yojimbo, COOL! I’m a huge Ellroy fan, I’ll have to pick upt the true story version.

Just finished “Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid”, and am currently reading “Winter’s Heart” (the newest Wheel of Time book) and “Philosophy and Computer Science” by my current computer professor, Tim Colburn.

I tend to flip around, but these are on my nightstand:

Harry Turtledove: The Great War: American Front
Irvine Welsh:The Acid House
James Burke:Circles
David Perry:Bike Cult

Yay! Shipping News is a wonderful book.

re: Moby Dick, I just finished In the Heart of the Sea and the accompanying The Loss of the Ship Essex, Sunk by a Whale: First-Person Accounts. Fascinating, horrifying.

Now I’m reading Martha Quest by Doris Lessing. What a wonderful writer. I hereby publicly predict that she’ll have a Nobel Prized within 5 or 6 years (unless the relatively recent awarding of the prize to another White South African Woman [Nadine Gordimer] disqualifies her politically).

currently reading-

The Complete Fuzzy
by H. Beam Piper

Just finished Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem, and am about to embark on Ender’s Shadow by Orson Scott Card.

I’m in the middle of a big nostalgia attack. I saw a hardcover Douglas Adams Omnibus for 10 bucks. I’m now re-reading The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, Life, the Universe and Everything, So Long and Thanks for the Fish, Young Zaphod Plays it Safe and Mostly Harmless. All in one handy-dandy book.

Did I mention it was only 10 bucks?

I’m currently reading A Clockwork Orange again.

I’ve recently read Nighttrain by Martin Amis which is a superb noirish thriller.

Fluid Concepts and Creative Analogies by Douglas Hofstader which is a brilliant, albeit quite difficult, book detailing artificial intelligence experiments in pattern finding and anagrams

Lord of the Flies by William Golding which is brilliantly written although I totally disagree with what the author is trying to say.

The Green Mile by Stephen King. A word of advice, don’t go and see the film after you’ve read this, you’ll be sorely disappointed.

Also, Blackknight, where did you get hold of a copy of Godel, Escher, Bach? I’ve been looking for one everywhere but I can’t find it.

Rumble Tumble by Joe R. Lansdale, the fifth installment in the Hap Collins and Leonard Pine series.

I’m also reading High Cotton, a collection of Lansdale’s short stories.

I also have a William S. Burroughs omnibus I’m dipping into.

I checked it out from the college (University of Minnesota, Duluth) library. I believe they only have a single copy.

Just finally finished “The Lord of the Rings” which was one of the most satisying reads I’ve done in a long time.

Starting to reread “A New Age Now Begins : A People’s History of the American Revolution” by Page Smith. I may decide to just continue on and read all 8 volumes of his history.

havok, I believe Get Shorty is by Elmore Leonard.

I’m slogging my way through Ulysses. I’m supposed to be on Chapter 15 by mid January. I don’t think I’m going to make it. I think Snowcrash is up next.