What books I read as a kid should I revisit?

Primarily inspired by the discussion in the “what were you THINKING?” pit thread, I wondered if I should read Heinlen as an adult. I read most of his stuff as a kid, but have never gone back to it. Which got me thinking about all of the other stuff I loved as a kid, but never went back to.

I know we’ve had a few did/didn’t hold up type threads, but maybe there’s room for another.

To put things in context, “as a kid” to me is from about 10 to 20, which is the 1980s, and as an adult is about the last 35 years.

Which if any of these should I reread? Did they hold up for you, what parts let you down?

Here is a sampling I can think of that I’ve never been back to. Some I liked more than others, but all were things I did enjoy.

• Heinlen
  • Arthur C. Clarke
  • Hitchhikers Guide and Dirk Gently
  • Pern books, but never finished the series
  • The Stainless Steel Rat series
  • Narnia
  • Brave New World
  • Some Zelazny
  • Stand on Zanzibar
  • Niven & Pournelle together but not by themselves
  • Mission Earth

HHGttG is still good and 1984 is still important.

Dirk Gently is also still great; I just did a re-read a short time ago, and loved it!

In no particular order I’d add:

• The Phantom Tollbooth
  • A Wizard of Earthsea
  • Watership Down

To the OP, HHGttG is always excellent. If by “some Zelazny” you mean “Nine Princes in Amber” series then yeah…those too.

Personally I’ve been meaning to reread Lord of Light and Creatures of Light and Darkness.

Amber is good as long as you stop at the fifth book and ignore the subsequent ones that follow Corwin’s son.

I plan to read A Wrinkle In Time at some point. I have no interest in seeing the movie, but I remember enjoying the story, so I’m curious about reading it again.

At one point I had a lot of the Pern books. For some reason or another, The Masterharper of Pern is the only one I still have. If you have a particular favorite, read that one, but I would expect that reading the entire series will become a bit of a drudge. Same for Heinlein and Asimov.

Personally, I think the only necessary ones are the original trilogy, All the Weyrs of Pern, and Dragonsdawn. Anything else you can skip, especially the stuff from after she decided that dragon color is tied to the rider’s sexuality.

The Mad Scientists’ Club*
The New Adventures of the Mad Scientists’ Club
Project: Genius
Andy Buckram’s Tin Men
Ten Beaver Road

*I just learned there are four books in the series. I’ve only read the first two.

I’d suggest 1984 definitely. Along with that, I’d recommend Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley.

And for a real throwback to childhood, I’d recommend The Velveteen Rabbit, by Margery Williams.

Are either of those “kids” books? I do not think so. I guess we need a definition of “kid” here. Are they 12 or 16?

From those listed to start with, I’d gladly re-read (and have re-read most)

• Arthur C. Clarke
  • Hitchhikers Guide and Dirk Gently
  • Brave New World

Then I’d add from my own re-reading, pleasantly surprised:

• Most of Jules Verne. I used him to learn French as an adult and was surprised by how much better the books are than the crappy translated and abridged versions usually sold in Spanish.
  • Perhaps too German-centric, but Struwwelpeter and Max und Moritz are still excellent.
  • Krabat.
  • I read Bambi and Die Biene Maja/Maya the Bee this last year, for the first time, and was surprised by the earnestness of Bambi. Maya, not so much, but it is a readable fairy tale nonetheless.

I have also been re-reading many old comic books, and am of two minds there: some are good, but others were disappointing.

The Wind in the Willows still holds up.

I would encourage you to reread Stand on Zanzibar obviously because, y’know, my screenname.

For a heartbeat my brain read that as Bambi and Die Bambi.

While it only took a second my brain did a big WTF? :slight_smile:

I recently reread the Narnia books. They are kids books. But i enjoyed them as an adult. You can skip “the silver chair”. But that was kinda true the first time through them, too. Oh, and the racism bothers me more as an adult. (The evil country is Turkey.) Still, they hold up as stories.

I read the Narnia books as a kid (around nine years old). I re-read them as an adult (mid-twenties) to get the whole Christian religious allegory side of it and I didn’t really see that (beyond a few obvious bits like Aslan). I’m not saying it isn’t there, just that I didn’t find it obvious.

It’s German. It means “The Bambi, the”.

Whereas when I reread Narnia as an adult, I discovered that there were lots more layers to the allegory than I’d ever realized. Though, I’m also a practicing Catholic and went to Catholic schools for high school and college, so I’m probably more in a position to get it.

On the others: Heinlein can certainly be dated, especially on anything relating to sex or gender roles. But then, most of his best works were his juveniles, where that was much less in the forefront. Asimov and Clarke less so, though both of them weren’t so great at writing human characters in general. And of course any old science fiction is going to have a fair amount of zeerust, things like using a slide rule to navigate a starship.

The Stainless Steel Rat was never very serious or deep, but works fine as light reading at any age. Likewise the Hitchhikers Guide books.

1984 and Brave New World were always adult literature. They’re not to everyone’s tastes, but if you liked them when young, you’ll still like them now.

Niven and Pournelle wrote some great books together, and also wrote some stinkers together. Any recommendations have to be on a case-by-case basis.

One set of books I loved as a kid, and which I was pleased to discover still hold up, are the Danny Dunn series. For those unfamiliar with them, Danny’s mother is a housekeeper to a brilliant professor, who acts as a sort of mentor figure to him and comes up with all sorts of fantastic inventions, while meanwhile Danny comes up with kid-level inventions of his own, as well as creative uses of the Professor’s inventions. Most of them are fairly well grounded in actual science (though, again, some zeerust).

If you read the OP everything will be clear.

Ooops… :man_facepalming: