What branded product has remained unchanged for the longest time?

If you say Faber-Castell, you must say Caran D’Ache too. Since 1915. The company is so old and relevant that pencil in Russian is karandasch (Каранда́ш).
And Staedler. Since 1834! Or, as the English Wiki writes:

The company was founded by Johann Sebastian Staedtler in 1835 as a pencil factory, first established in Nuremberg, but the roots of the company go back to 1662, when references to Friedrich Staedtler as a pencil-making craftsman were made in the city annals. Staedtler received permission from the municipal council to produce black lead, red chalk and pastel pencils in his industrial plant. In 1866, the company had 54 employees and produced 15,000 gross (2,160,000 pencils) per year.

Similarly, there is “Whatman paper” since around the 1760s, or at least there used to be until 1960 or so. Similar paper is still being made, though, aka wove paper. Also Amalfi paper has been made in Fabriano since at least 1264 (according to their web site).

Very nice. Although, despite their claim they are never resold, I found three for sale on Ebay.

Basically the same since the 1890s. As is this gem:

I don’t think the higher-wattage soldering irons made by American Beauty have changed in over 100 years.

Ernest Wright has been making kick-ass scissors since 1902.

I get the impression that people are just naming old companies, without any evidence that the products themselves remain unchanged.

The makhilas that the Bergara family make are pretty much all custom jobs AIUI so it could certainly be argued that they don’t make the same product now as they did even last month.

Ernest Wright has been making the same scissors the same way since 1902.

Lincoln Logs and Tinker Toys have been relatively unchanged for over 100 years.

Dr. Brown’s Cel-Ray Tonic has the same recipe since 1868. They’ve added a diet version, but have not changed the original.

They discontinued Diet Cel-Ray many years ago. :frowning_face:

My dad and his friends used to use Necco wafers for .22 target practices. They ‘powder’ like a skeet does with a shotgun.

Odd. Here in the US, 350mg is the standard tablet size with two being the usual dosage. 500 mg is touted as “extra strength.” Do Germans pop theirs one or two at a time?

In Holland 500 mg is the standard dosage, you’re allowed to pop two at a time. I wouldn’t, though. Aspirin is quite dangerous when it comes to risk of GI bleeding, at least compared to paracetamol. Newer NSAIDs carry a comparable risk. For a simple headache I wouldn’t take it.
(end of hijack, but the over-the-counter availability of NSAIDs is a pet peeve of mine. There are dozens of elderly people admitted to hospitals every year with gastrointestinal bleeding and/or nasty haemorrhages after falling due to otc NSAIDs)

There have been some changes. I restored a number of these many years ago. The attach point for the handle now has a plastic ball type thing to prevent fingers from getting pinched. The top of the wagon has a more molded shape, the older wagons had a rolled top. I believe they are made with thinner metal now. The wagons I restored were heavier than new wagons. And the logos have changed over the years too.

Was the 350 mg tablet a real Aspirin™, though, or a generic version?

This definitely does not get the OP’s award. But I still think it deserves recognition.

Technology changes so rapidly that anything made with electronics is pretty much obsolete within 10 years. Manufacturers of anything containing electronics will quickly update their designs, else the competition will eat them up.

There’s a peculiar anomaly in this, though: the Hewlett Packard 3458A digital multimeter.

It was first introduced in 1988. Since then, HP turned into Agilent, and then Agilent turned into Keysight. None of the stuff that was made in the 1980s and 1990s is still offered today, with the exception of this meter. You can still buy the same meter, brand new, from Keysight. (I should probably say it’s “essentially” the same; they may have changed a few components here and there inside the unit due to obsolescence issues.)

Why? Not sure. But I’ve heard the design is “so good” that it can’t be improved upon. One thing for sure is that the meter has developed a bit of a cult following since its introduction.

Probably Eagle Condensed Milk. It was invented in 1856.Cans of the stuff we issued by the Union Army in the American Civil War. Oddly enough, it is pasteurized, but Borden did it before Pasteur, Borden did not have a clear idea of what he was doing. .

The current company making Moleskine notebooks is only from 1997, but the original that it is based on is from much, much earlier and essentially unchanged.

Yeah - it is weird the extent that people are doing that. I thought the intent was clear as to a desire to discuss specific products and/or their packaging that have remained as near as possible to unchanged for the longest time.

With some items - such as my offered Bic pen or the Stanley tools, there might be a debate as to whether there were changes that would be apparent to an afficiando, but not a more casual viewer/user. But simply saying (to chose one among many examples) Stella Artois is a really old company says nothing about how long the current formulation or packaging has remained unchanged.

I find interesting the subset of products - such as 20 Mule Team Borax - which intentionally use old-appearing packaging/labels. With some products - I’m thinking Aunt Jemima, Betty Crocker - it can be a bit of a shock to see the decades old package you grew up with being updated, Tho I can appreciate the multiple reasons for doing so.

I also find it curious when - on shows like American Pickers - they point out very fine points which distinguish products as being of different vintages.

Thanks for contributing to an interesting thread.