What careers does language training offer?

I am a music teacher, however I am interesting in expanding my teaching abilities. I am very interested in languages, and I would like to teach abroad. I assumed that learning many languages would give me a stronger ability to travel and teach in other countries. I am also interested in the other possibilities of language training. What careers are available?

This all greatly depends on the language you want to learn.

Presumably I’m going to build a career out of knowing Spanish. Currently, with my bachelors, I’m applying for customer service jobs and non-profits. Eventually I plan to be a professor of Spanish/Latin American studies, ideally with a focus on immigration, but that will require a Ph.D.

Specifically, with regards to teaching abroad-- nowadays you can get a gig teaching English abroad without knowing much of the language at all, though I would highly recommend it, as it would give depth to the experience. I’ve got a friend who has lived in Japan for four years teaching English. He originally signed on for two but he loved it so much, he signed another contract. I’m not sure he’ll ever be coming back! Trust me–you will NOT have a problem finding a job like that. English is in very high demand all over.

If you’re into service-oriented things, there are plenty of needs to be filled here in the states for helping out immigrants and the like. Health services, labor organizations, English as a second language volunteers, etc.

And then there’s business. Languages are highly valued in today’s business world, but hopefully a more knowledgeable Doper can fill you in on that, because I know very little about business. Broadly I would say, if you want career options, make sure you choose the right language, because some languages are not in as high demand as others (speaking fluent Mixtec, while infinitely cool, will not necessarily land you a job for a major corporation.)

A hearty pat on the back for considering learning a foreign language. For me, there are few things as satisfying. I will be very interested in hearing the others’ responses.

This all greatly depends on the language you want to learn.

Presumably I’m going to build a career out of knowing Spanish. Currently, with my bachelors, I’m applying for customer service jobs and non-profits. Eventually I plan to be a professor of Spanish/Latin American studies, ideally with a focus on immigration, but that will require a Ph.D.

Specifically, with regards to teaching abroad-- nowadays you can get a gig teaching English abroad without knowing much of the language at all, though I would highly recommend it, as it would give depth to the experience. I’ve got a friend who has lived in Japan for four years teaching English. He originally signed on for two but he loved it so much, he signed another contract. I’m not sure he’ll ever be coming back! Trust me–you will NOT have a problem finding a job like that. English is in very high demand all over.

If you’re into service-oriented things, there are plenty of needs to be filled here in the states for helping out immigrants and the like. Health services, labor organizations, English as a second language volunteers, etc. Really the uses of Spanish within the U.S. are where I have the most knowledge, so let me know if you have any questions regarding that.

And then there’s business. Languages are highly valued in today’s business world, but hopefully a more knowledgeable Doper can fill you in on that, because I know very little about business. Broadly I would say, if you want career options, make sure you choose the right language, because some languages are not in as high demand as others (speaking fluent Mixtec, while infinitely cool, will not necessarily land you a job for a major corporation.)

A hearty pat on the back for considering learning a foreign language. For me, there are few things as satisfying. I will be very interested in hearing the others’ responses.

Sorry for the DP-- board timed out.

Wanted to add:

There is also translating, but not for the faint of heart. I don’t even think I’m ready for that, and I’ve studied Spanish since 8th grade. There’s a whole philosophy behind it and everything–but, if you’re up to the challenge, you can pull in some decent money that way.

Don’t rule out tourism. Years ago, I majored in Japanese and wound up working in Japanese tourism in Hawaii during the years when the Japanese economy was booming.

I want to learn French first as I live in Canada, I think that will broaden my abilities here. I also would eventually like to teach abroad in English speaking countries, for example Austrailia. Alas my minor is English, but I thought if I learned other languages the schools would be more interested in hiring me. I am a music major.