What celebrities are homosexual, but are often thought not to be?

He’s quite gay, though hardly what you’d call out and proud. In some of his more recent books, you can even catch gay characters slipped in here and there. I think that’s part of why the pedophile rumor got such traction in Sri Lanka, because “everyone knows” that gay people are more likely to molest children.

Wait a minute. The lead singer of Erasure is gay?

Wait - Mojo Nixon is gay?

Not really. She has quite openly talked about her one lesbian affair, decades ago, after she was newly divorced and hating anything with a penis between its legs.

However, in Randall’s case he married a woman fifty years his junior about a year after the death of his first wife, to whom he had been married for fifty-four years. Instead of, “Man, I thought you was GAY,” the polite response should have been, “Whoa! Tony, you da MAN!” Especially after he impregnated her twice.

I believe it was in People Weekly, after Freddy’s death.

It’s the hair. I swear, a woman can be having sex with three guys at once in the middle of Times Square on New Years Eve but if she has short hair people will still think she’s a lesbian.

In Arthur C. Clarke’s case, I don’t think it was the supposition that gay men are more likely to be pedophiles. Rumors like that don’t attach themselves to every gay man; reports are that Clarke really does favor teenaged males.

At least the Wikipedia subdivides it: There’s a “List of famous gay, lesbian or bisexual people” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_famous_gay%2C_lesbian_or_bisexual_people), but the article has three lists: “Persons of confirmed homosexual or bisexual orientation,” Persons of debated lesbian, gay, or bisexual orientation," and (honestly!) “Persons no longer identifying as gay, lesbian, or bisexual.” (That last list is very short.) There’s also a “List of people who have publicly denied being gay” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_have_denied_being_gay). That list includes Tom Cruise, Boy George, Prince Charles, Carrot Top (so who gives a flying fistfuck?), Richard Gere, Rock Hudson, Liberace, and Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street! :slight_smile:

b.t.w. my bet is on Thje Rock being gay (and the guy that was mentioned but not by name in the Kevin Smith article a few months ago).

Those sites are wrong. His family were not Persians, they were Parsis (or Parsees). The Parsis were Zoroastrians who refused to convert to Islam and were expelled from Persia 14 centuries ago. They migrated to India, where they established successful communities in a handful of big cities, most notably Lahore and Bombay. Since the partition of India, Parsis largely left Lahore and other cities that became part of Pakistan. Now Bombay is the center of Parsi culture.

Yes, they were originally from Persia, but that was a long time ago. They have been an integral part of the Indian community for centuries. To the Parsis, the Persian language (the Avestan dialect) is used only in their holy book. Their mother tongue is Gujarati, an Indian language. The Parsi business community has been critical to the commercial development of Bombay and other Indian cities.

He plays a gay character in the movie Be Cool (a gay bodyguard ala Alex Karras in Victor/Victoria), but in real life he’s married and has a child (which while as mentioned not proof against a lavender gene is at least circumstantial evidence).

Freddie Mercury named his band “Queen” and had a huge hit based on operatic arias. People were really surprised to find out he was gay??

Tony Randall once told a story on the Tonight Show about showing up at a hotel with his wife. His wife went into the lobby while he waited for the valet to take his car. A doorman confessed to him “Funny, but I thought you and Jack Klugman (Oscar from “the Odd Couple”) were, you know…” and Tony first realized that people thought he & Jack were a couple. Leno then asked “Did you tell your wife that?” Randall replied “My wife?? I ran right up to my room and called Jack!”

Any way, my contributions:

Hall & Oates. Why this surprised me to hear it I cannot tell you.

Susan Sontag & Annie Liebowitz. Again, it just “whooshed” me.

Re: Tony Randall and Jack Klugman:
:smiley: I recall reading somewhere that while they might not have been a couple, (unfortunately) they were aware of the publics perceptions, so when they got hassled by tv execs, they filmed parody scenes of the show, making their relationship clear. :smiley:

Nitpick: She had ended a love affair with a guy named Michael, who she thought was “the one.” She had a brief affair with Kim Catrell, then moved on to Bob Dylan. Her mother, Joan Baez, Sr, is also rumoured to have had some lesbian affairs.

I’ll need a citation for that. Hall & Oates?

I had no idea of that one. You mean they’re a couple? I was just noticing the ad in the paper this morning for their concert, and thinking that John Oates didn’t look like the same guy as in the pictures from the '70s. It almost had me wondering if it was a situation like Sam & Dave, touring the oldies circuit with a different “Sam.”

I always remember a stand-up comic I once saw who described Hall and Oates: “You’ve got this one white guy, and one whatever…”

Well, I confess I don’t have a cite. Lemme explain: one night, when nothing better was on tv, my then-boyfriend & I were watching the VH1 “Behind the Music” special on Mr.'s Hall & Oates. The narrator made some statement about them meeting & becoming room-mates, moving into a certain neighborhood in Boston (name eludes me at the moment). My boyfriend, being from Boston, snickered and informed me that the said-neighborhood is the longtime ‘gay ghetto’ of Boston. He also said he’s seen the blonde guy (I never was sure which was Hall, and which was Oates) in gay bars in Boston. He said it was an open secret that Hall & Oates (the musical act) broke up when Hall & Oates (the couple) broke up. (The musical act later got back together, apparently after the dust settled on their break-up, but are supposedly not a couple any more.)
So, no I cannot provide concrete proof of their sexuality, but my former boyfriend / still good friend is not the type to pass around innuendo, so I believe him.

Hall & Oates have never lived in Boston. They’re from Philadelphia.

Daryl Hall (the blond one) and his girlfriend Sara Allen (the inspiration for the song Sara Smile) were together for 30 years, and had a son in 1984.

Well, Art, in one edition of The Book of Lists, they mention the H&O thing, along with a quote from Darryl Hall that said (paraphrasing), “No, John and I have never been lovers. He’s not my type.”