What chick flicks are also good movies?

Uh…Groundhog Day is by no means anything as limited as a “sappy romance”. It’s a brilliant film about the perfectibility of the human spirit. I’m serious. While it didn’t get any respect in the US, it won a BAFTA for Best Original Screenplay. Read the IMDB comments and watch it a few more times to really get it. There’s a reason there’s 44 pages of comments.

Me too. I also liked the so-far-unmentioned Sliding Doors.

The other night my old ladies at church forced me to watch Babette’s Feast. I enjoyed every minute, though it might’ve been because I could say, “She’s just like my grandma,” while they said, “She’s just like my mother.” Without recent (as in “from the past century or two”) immigrant, especially Northern European, family members it might be too subtle for you.

ETA: Note that the good food only came at the end. Prior to that you were fed a diet of what Grandma didn’t try to feed you because, unless you grew up eating it, it was disgusting.

Heh, three I waas going to suggest as well. :slight_smile:

I sympathize – awkward humour does seem a staple of rom-com, and not something I enjoy. There’s probably going to be a little in any of these films… it’s just a matter of how much.

Adding to the High Grant offerings, I very much enjoyed Music and Lyrics; it helps to have seen 80s music the first time around. (Although be warned – there is one particularly awkward scene, that I’ll skip if watching alone) :slight_smile:

I’m surprised no one has suggested Mamma Mia!yet.

I believe you. It’s one of my favorite films of all time, but it is romance and it does get quite sappy towards the end. I don’t think those things are mutually exclusive. Like I said, I’m not exactly sure what makes a chick flick different from a rom com, or how much ‘rom’ a com must have to be one.

Haven’t seen that one, but I also liked Notting Hill. Well, I thought Julia Roberts was an ice bitch and that he should have dumped her, but other than that.

I enjoyed Hugh Grant in Four Weddings as well, also nice to see him playing “evil” in Bridget Jones’s Diary.

First movie to get off this thread is Possession, the 2002 Gwyneth Paltrow film. Set in England, it’s about two scholars (British woman and American guy) who are investigating a secret love affair between their respective Victorian era poets of interest. So it’s got two romantic stories, one modern, one historical, going on at the same time. Easy to watch and not at all pretentious.

Dirty Dancing, in memory of Patrick Swayze. Sigh.

I love Music and Lyrics. Which scene is this?

300 Days of Summer and Ghost Town are great chick flicks for guys to watch. Both are funny and entertaining. Ghost town consists of a lot of sharp british wit and 300 Days of Summer is filmed with some actual cinematic skill. I think they both rated well on the Tomato Meter.

Does 10 Things I Hate About You count as a chick flick or is it just a 90s teen pic? It’s well written, funny, the lead actors are all talented (Julia Stiles and Heath Ledger, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Larisa Oleynik are the main couples), and there’s good music.

Save Love Actually for a day closer to Christmas; it is such a Christmas movie, but in a good way.

I’m not - its a terrible film! Great scenery though.

I didn’t like Music & Lyrics either - very affected. & I don’t like Hugh Grant. But the 80s style music video it opens with is great!

Stardust is wonderful.

<avoiding spoilers> Restaurant & Sloan. Way to awkward for me. Everything else in the movie I could enjoy though.

I will admit to not enjoying it the first time I saw it… just wasn’t in the right mood, and Bronson’s singing (in particular) grated. But having rewatched it several times (mostly for the music) I can appreciate it as a feel good fantasy. I’m not a big fan of Meryl Streep but I think she did a damn fine job in that movie.

Ah well, I seem to have a soft spot for Hugh Grant (no idea why) and have several of his rom-com flicks, and I think Drew Barrymore has a fine talent for physical comedy.

But yes, the music video is just perfect! :slight_smile: Also I’m just the right age to have seen Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Flock of Seagulls, etc, etc the first time around and can really appreciate the 80s nostalgia. :slight_smile:

Gregory’s Girl is a nice quirky Scottish teen romance, by the same guy who did Local Hero.

There’s always Titanic, which I thought was pretty well made, although it’s critically unacclaimed.

The Fountain is most definitely not a chick flick. It’s a Darren Aronofsky movie, which should tell you that it’s complicated, angsty, and weird. It’s also an amazing movie that I loved very much, but not something I’d pop popcorn and watch with the girls in my PJs.

Live Nude Girls. Trust me, you won’t be sorry.

I’ve always liked Down With Love, which is very droll.

I’ll second a bunch already mentioned, specifically:
Love Actually
The Truth about Cats and Dogs
The Joy Luck Club
Four Weddings and a Funeral
Notting Hill
About A Boy
Stranger Than Fiction
Sliding Doors

and add my newest favorite chick flick, The Holiday, with Kate Winslet and Cameron Diaz.
Like Love, Actually, it might be better being saved for a time closer to Christmas.
And add the two I always add to these threads:
Chocolat, with Johnny Depp and Juliette Binoche.
A Life Less Ordinary, with Cameron Diaz and Ewan McGregor.
Great chick flicks, and two of my all-time favorite movies. Neither one is specifically a chick flick. A Life Less Ordinary has lots of shoot-em-ups and a car chase for the guys. :smiley:

You realize that statement requires the film to contain live nude girls, and I’m not seeing it without assurance that it contains live nude girls.

I ignored the exposition in Titanic, except when Ms Winslet was naked, but appreciated both the shipwreck and that Cameron, acknowledging the state of CGI at the time, made the real stuff look a bit CGI. It all fit together better.