What compact system camera should I buy?

I have kind of outgrown my point and shoot camera. My cell phone now does about 90% of what I need for quick shots.

So, I want to move up to a SLR, but I don’t want to have to lug around a big ole SLR. The new compact SLRs (micro 4/3, PEN, NEX, etc) seems like the perfect comprimise. For shopping parameters are:

-I want to spend under $1000.
-I’m not too worried abou the lens ‘ecosystem’. I’m going to ease into this, so I don’t need a ton of lens options right away.
-I don’t need a viewfinder.
-I’m not an advanced shooter, so I don’t need any of the super-advanced features.

I think I’ve narrowed it down to the Sony NEX 5N and the Panasonic Lumix 12.1 MP. They’re both about $650 in Canada.

I didn’t like the feel of the comparable Olympus and Canon (I’ve owned Canons for about a decade) doesn’t yet have a compact system. I haven’t tried a Nikon.

Any opinions? Am I missing anything?

Canon just announced their ILC line - http://www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=4532

It looks like a pretty good system, aimed more at the consumer rather than the professional but that seems in line with your needs. And with the adapter you can use your existing Canon lenses.

ETA: I guess you have had Canon compact cameras, not SLRs right? So you don’t have existing Canon lenses. Given that, I’d lean towards the Panasonic, although I would look at the newer models which might be a tad more expensive.