What "contemporary Music will be known, studied and enjoyed 200 years from now.

Uh, you realise that we’re talking about music, and that hundreds of composers from 200 or more years ago are regularly listened to and studied, not to mention thousands of anonymous folk songs and tunes from back then? There’s a reason we don’t read many novels from that long ago, it’s because the novel was hardly a thing then. A better comparison would be poetry - Coleridge, Lord Byron, Shelley and several others from 200 years ago are household names, and many others from earlier are almost as well known.

I think it’s a given that a strong preference for centuries old art will be a niche thing, as it is now, but I doubt it’ll be less common.

I would not be at all surprised if something like Baby Got Back by Sir Mix A Lot ends up somehow still being around 200 years from now, not least because there will doubtless still be a significant number of people who do indeed find generously proportioned buttocks pleasing and be unable to make a statement to the contrary on the grounds it would be untruthful.* :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s also quite possible that the music from now people in the early 2200s are listening to could be some incredibly obscure indie/garage band that’s just not to many people’s taste now but strikes a chord with people 200 years hence for some reason.

What I do think is possible is that some of the classic movie music (the James Bond theme, the Raiders March from the Indiana Jones films and the Imperial March from Star Wars) will still be around but they’ll have lost their connection to the films they came from, at least for the average punter.
If you consider the 1812 Overture (written in 1880 and not 1812, incidentally), for example, pretty much everyone knows it as “That classical music with the cannon fire at the end”. I doubt many people who weren’t music aficionados, historians, or SDMB members could tell you (without looking it up on Wikipedia) the piece was written to celebrate the Russian defeat of Napoleon and tells a story. I’d suspect something similar will happen with the iconic film music - people will know the tune and associate it with espionage, adventure or galactic badassery as appropriate, but that will be where their knowledge of the piece ends unless they’re really into music and/or history.

*Also, there was a joke about it being considered “Classical Music” in the Futurama universe, set in the 3000s :wink:

Could a moderator fix the thread title, adding the prefix, “Other than SteelyDan,”?

Thanks.

I would hope so, too, and I really can’t see that disappearing in 200 years. I think there will be more continuity of culture in many ways, given that it can so easily be preserved and shared with digital and telecommunication technologies. (And, I believe he got some of the time signature ideas from Balkan music, which uses irregular meters fairly commonly. The Balkans, Turkey, Hungary, etc., that general area of Southeastern Europe it’s not unusual to find time signatures like that. 5/4 and 9/8 also appear occasionally in the rest of Europe, but not quite as commonly, especially given Brubeck’s 2+2+2+3/8 division of the 9/8. 3+3+3/8, though, is not all that unusual, see, for example, Jesu Joy of Man’s Desiring.)

Actually, it looks like the rhythmic inspiration was during a visit to Turkey, while listening to a Turkish folk song in “Bulgarian meter” (9/8). The 2+2+2+3 subdivision of 9/8 that Brubeck uses in Rondo a la Turk does show up in Bulgarian folk music quite a lot.

Or 2014, for that matter.

And as for Shakespeare, how many future Chinese people will be familiar with his work?

Alive in the 20th century:

Camille Saint-Saëns
Gabriel Fauré
John Philip Sousa
Edward Elgar
Gustav Mahler
Claude Debussy
Richard Strauss
Jean Sibelius
Scott Joplin
Ralph Vaughan Williams
Sergei Rachmaninoff
Gustav Holst
Maurice Ravel
Béla Bartók
Percy Grainger
Igor Stravinsky
Sergei Prokofiev
Carl Orff (because people will never stop using Carmina Burana for movie scores…)
George Gershwin

Born in the 20th century:

Aaron Copland
Dmitri Shostakovich
Samuel Barber
Alfred Mendelssohn
Benjamin Britten

Probably more…

No love for Duke Ellington? He was a giant in the field of jazz, and I believe his work is more likely to be remembered 200 years from now than Brubeck’s. I think Brubeck himself would have said the same thing.

Other important jazz figures who may be remembered two centuries from now include Thelonious Monk, Charlie Parker and John Coltrane.