I am going to go to a mechanic tomorrow or friday, but want to know if anyone has a general idea what I’m facing.
I drive a 99 ford ranger 2wd 4cyl. A few days ago I was driving and saw the battery light was on and the voltmeter was maxed out and peaking the H(igh) reading. So I shut the radio off (I’d only been driving half a mile) and drove home. The next day I had the battery and alternator checked at a car parts store. They said the battery was weak but the alternator was fine. The battery was originally bought in Dec 2005, so I figured that was feasable that I needed a new battery.
So I had a new battery installed at the same place. Now the battery light is on and the voltmeter is reading low. It is a meter w/o numbers, just a white bracket with Red lines beyond those brackets. It is like the temperature gauge on this car.
Now it is reading in about the bottom 1/4 of the white bracket, but not outside of it and not on the red L line.
If I turn the key just enough to turn on the electronics but not start the engine, I get the same reading, the reading is in the bottom 1/4 of the white bracket.
Why would the reading be peaking at the H with the old battery, now be at the bottom 1/4 with the new battery? And what does it mean when both the engine is turned on and when the electronics are only turned on that the voltmeter readings are the same?
I wonder if when the readings got into the red High area if it damaged the electrical system and the car can’t power itself anymore w/o the battery.