What day is it in the MMP?

I like the idea of illegal size copy paper.

It’s cloudy and not all that cold here; not that it matters, I’ve been in all day, dealing with assorted nonsense at irk. Normally I try and get some fresh air at lunch, but I wound up with one of those awkward not-quite breaks, where I’m not actually doing anything, but I need to respond quick if someone emails.
Bah.

I’ll head out to get some shopping shortly, as I’m almost out of most things, but that’s the limit of the excitement for today, barring my weekly online meetup later.

Good morning! (Is too! In my time zone, anyway.) It rained, is raining, shall rain. I live on the edge of a rainforest, plus the Pineapple Express hath arriveth, so no surprises. I must walk nonetheless–or say screw the risks and warnings and hop on the complex’s treadmill. This Good Girl sh-t is not paying off, and it’s a long way until September. (Don’t worry: won’t endanger anyone but myself.)

FCM, safe travels, and I hope all goes well in Ocala. And thanks for posting the list. Can I celebrate Cupcake Day if I’m not Canadian?

VanGo, I thought those were curtains at first! Amazing. Good luck with the PPP app.

flyboy, I remember that show! Little did I know back then that I’d teach and in Room 111. Thanks for sharing. Gave me a grin.

MetalMouse, sounds like you’re about to be a busy boy!

I think it would be an excellent gesture of goodwill to honor our neighbors to the north in that way! :wink:

We ordered Chinese for lunch and the servings were huge, so I won’t be making supper. We’ll just graze for whatever. FCD is now napping and his parents are watching The Out Of Towners on Prime. I’ve made a list for my daughter and I found the tote I wanted to pack (it was sitting on my pottery wheel - where to you store your luggage???) I need to make a list of do-not-forget - we’ll do most of the packing tonight and I want to avoid panic or regrets tomorrow.

Please dont risk yourself either! I’d have to drive out there in my trusty Honda Civic and nurse you back to health.

I feel your pain. I used to give up chocolate. I was younger and oh boy, it was painful.

Wow. I haven’t seen icicles like that in years.

FCM stay safe. We’ll use coasters while you’re gone. I, er, “promise”. Yeah, that’s it, no fingers crossed here.

My mom got her second shot last week. She had a small fever that night, but since then has been fine. I haven’t checked my place in the queue, which I should do. I’d really wish we’d switch things up a bit and move essential workers up a bit. They’re the ones who deal with the public all the time.

My sister is having open heart surgery. She came by briefly this weekend and we talked in the driveway, socially distanced and masked. When she left, I wanted to hug her so much and I could not. I cried and still tear up at the thought of it. I might never see her again and I couldn’t hug her. She’s my baby sister. I’ve looked out for her our whole lives. If you have any prayers/good thoughts/positive energy for her, I would be grateful.

On a more mundane note, we’ve started using a meal delivery service. They send us the ingredients and a recipe, we make it. So far, I’ve really enjoyed it. My daughter and I make them together, and I’m learning a few things. Last night it was a version of oven-fried chicken, with roasted garlic, truffle butter green beans.

Happy Moanday everyone!

I think so too! I have a recipe for cupcake in a mug, homemade with simple ingredients off your pantry shelf. Takes all of five minutes to make and nuke. Let me know if the recipe is needed.

If I give up fresh-brewed coffee and drink only instant, will that be a worthy enough sacrifice? Back in my day I used to give up swearing but then trump, et al happened and I couldn’t do that anymore. I might have to come up with something new that requires reflection and letting go of something. So far I’m up to no furnace, frozen pipes leading to having to shut off the house water at the main. But the water part is just until the plumber comes back tomorrow to replace several pieces of pipe and a faucet. After that maybe you’all can help Boo come up with a Lenten aspiration-betcha swampy would be good at that. moooomm’scoasters every single time no matter what is, sadly, a stretch for me.

Consider good thoughts and positive energy done from zip code 68510. I’ll try to keep it up daily. I’d give anything for you to soon be able to give and get that sister hug.

I’m making up a pot of green chili stew today in anticipation of feeling punky after the poke. It may require ice cream, as well.

Here’s an article I liked when I had to be distanced from my only grandchild last spring. Perhaps it might help you be able to enjoy a quick hug with your sister soon after her surgery is successfully over. This old nurse thinks a hug from her big sister, however choreographed to be safest, would do your sister’s recovery a world of good too.

I actually printed the article out and carried it in my purse so I could grab a quick hug, but still be safe, from Harriet when I visited her outdoors in her backyard. Grandma needed a hug and my psychiatrist/doctor son recommended this as reasonable, weighing all the emotional risks as well as physical. Touch and memories associated with touch are so powerful.

I was getting ready to go for that walk when Old Flame called. He cracks me up, and I really needed to laugh. Now it’s raining even harder, so I’m back to thinking treadmill. The complex’s owner was supposed to call me this morning and didn’t, so I could check on that while I’m down there.

I won’t endanger others, so you’ll have to wait until after COVID is over. Then we could have ourselves a time.

The priest at my old parish would exhort us, “DON’T give up chocolate or some other food or beverage!” He said Lenten sacrifice shouldn’t be about such things but about giving up hatred, anger, impatience–the things that keep us from being better people. That makes so much more sense to me. This year, I’m giving up scoffing. I didn’t think I did much of it, but it’s amazing how often it sneaks up on me, most notably re: politics, and stopping is hopefully making me a better person.

sunny, have said a prayer for your sister and will continue to do so. When is her surgery? Please let us know how it goes.

Work keeps coming in. Since my connection was going to rime out in a couple of minutes anyway (I’m only allowed to connect 6 hours per session, and I started a bit after 0600 this morning), I logged off and walked three times around the park. Two miles, three miles per hour. Mrs. L.A. was stopping in after seeing her first patient, and I saw her again as I turned final on the second lap. She said, ‘You’re getting rained on.’ I told her, ‘Only one more lap.’

I was aware of the show, but never watched it. I was in high school when it was on, but I don’t think I ever got around to checking what class was in that room at the time. :slight_smile:

I survived it, so I’m sure she will. Biggest problem I had was getting my small intestine to start working again – ended up spending an extra five days in hospital.

What does it suggest?

Cupcakes and margaritas. Hmmm… We had liver & onions last night instead of the shepherd’s pie. No bacon, so we used ham, which was almost as good. The shepherd’s pie will be tonight.

:smiley: :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

It had literal suggestions and how-to’s, including diagrams. Try clicking on the NYT link. If it doesn’t work for you, let me know and I’ll figure out how to get the article to you.

Happy Moanday everyone. I found out I can retire at any time and keep my medical insurance for $205 a month. Just knowing I can has made me want to hang on a little longer. Keeping the insurance is huge.

I irked 7 hours today and came home early cause my dog walker couldn’t come today cause she had to go to the mainland for her tax preparation. I was on the phone with tech support cause my official irk computer Adobe would not work. The tech went to uninstall it and discovered that 11 software programs had crashed so no wonder I was having a hard time. They are uninstalling and reinstalling them overnight.

I cooked a corned beef and cabbage yesterday so that shall be leftover dinner tonight. I finally got to the grocery this weekend. I had scrounged until there was nothing left to scrounge. I really stocked up too.

No vaccine for me yet even though my irk teased us with hope of one. I am not old enough it seems. I have never wished to be older since I was a teenager but now I do. I’m ready to get this nonsense over with.

Have a great week all.

Hooray! The owner called me back, and they’re going to 1) send a letter to noisy truck owners that they can’t leave them idling so long (30 minutes) and one to everyone saying diesel trucks must be parked in the one area farthest from buildings. I know many of us will be relieved. :slight_smile:

Boo, that was a good article. I think for those who can’t access it, just seeing the graphic on the link is sufficient. The article also says:

We don’t know the exact dose required for the new coronavirus to make you sick, but estimates range from 200 to 1,000 copies of the virus. An average cough might carry anywhere from 5,000 to 10,000 viruses, but most of the splatter lands on the ground or nearby surfaces. When people are in close contact, typically only about 2 percent of the liquid in the cough — or about 100 to 200 viruses — would be inhaled by or splashed on a person nearby. But only 1 percent of those stray particles — just one or two viruses — actually will be infectious.

“We don’t know how many infectious viruses it takes to make you sick — probably more than one,” said Dr. Marr. “If you don’t talk or cough while hugging, the risk should be very low.”

Is that still the case today, with all the new variants? (The article is from early June.) I’d assume so, but then, I’ve heard it takes much fewer viral particles to get sick with the variants. Still, I mean, a hug is so short, and with if, as suggested, you wear masks and turn faces, surely it can’t be too risky?

As someone who hasn’t hugged a living soul* in over a year, I empathize with all the hug-deprived. :heart: :heart: :heart:

• Full disclosure: haven’t hugged any dead souls, either. Are they contagious?

Would a pet be an option? I know it’s not the same as another human, but it’s SOMETHING.

Thank you! I really appreciate this.

Packing has begun. Daughter has been and gone. I never did make my packing list, but I may take a few minutes of reflection to deal with it. The trunk of the Sonata is bigger than the Caddy, so we should be fine, except for all the crap MIL wants to keep in the car with her. It wouldn’t be a problem except that Higgs has to sit in the back with them. But we’ll figure it out.

I may be able to check in on the road tomorrow, plus when we get to Ocala and I get on WiFi. Try not to miss me! :kissing_heart:

Here in the USA we call that A4. This is 8" x 14", ‘legal’ pad size (which I suspect you already knew).

Sunny, sending best wishes and positive waves and (virtual) hugs to your sister (and a couple left over for you).

Butters, good on the insurance; but if you qualify for Medicare and take it, it’ll set you back some more $$; didn’t hurt my plans but I hadn’t figured on it.

FCM, regarding the 3 Afghans you MIL is bringing; just be glad they are this: Fall Three Afghans 1953 Stock Photo - Alamy or this: Three Afghans From Khiva Date Drawing by Mary Evans Picture Library - Pixels

Safe travels.

nellie, good news on having responsible ownership there; now if they follow through…

BBBoo, hope you get the water back shortly.

OK, need to go forth and forage for sustenance. I eat in the rest of the week, so Moanday is my one day to keep the local fast food places in business.

All y’all take care.