What decisions do English speakers make subconsciously?

And more specifically Typology, which compares the grammatical systems of the world’s languages and attempts to find correlations between features (e.g. if a language has characteristic A, then it will also have characteristic B but is unlikely to have characteristic C).

It seems to me that the OP is touching on the difference between overt and covert categories.

Overt categories refer to concepts that are clearly grammatically marked in a language. For instance in English, the (regular) plural and past are marked by the -s and -ed suffixes respectively. This is the grammar that native speakers can easily explain and that foreign students learn.

Covert categories refer to rules that are not apparent, even to native speakers although they follow them perfectly. The order of adjectives mentioned above is a great example, as is the order of adpositional phrases and adverbs as well as the gender of names (Harry is masculine and Mary is feminine but nothing in the way the word is structured indicates this). When someone does not follow a covert grammatical rule, native speakers are often at a loss to describe why it’s incorrect and will often comment that it “feels” wrong or that you “just don’t say this.”

This reminds me of a very intriguing comment made by Left_Hand_of_Dorkness in another thread.

I’m sure that what is at play here is precisely the difference between overt and covert categories, with the latter being much more difficult for native speakers to break.