What degree of job security do you enjoy?

How can you be so sure you’d get a new job so soon if you’re 4 short years from retirement?

That’s a common obstacle for folks laid off late in their careers.

I don’t doubt you’d still add value to a new position, but many employers just aren’t looking for such a short term hire.

In fact, I’m so concerned about the late 50’s layoff that I have an investment account specifically for the purpose of bridging that 55 - 60 gap, just in case the need arises.

My job security is a zero, even on a scale from 1 to 10. I am unemployed after every gig, and a gig can be as short as 4 hours. Some gigs last a week or more, but most are just a few days. When a gig ends, I have no guarantee of another gig: I have to find one.

O
Laid off twice in 2 and a half years. Unemployed now.

10 - self employed.

Of course, the business my business owns half of could go under and I’d stop getting paid - and being self employed I only make as much as my share of the profits of the business - sometimes that is a lot of money for a little work - sometimes its very little money for a little work.

I’m about a 3 or 4.

I would like to find a steady job I liked (or at least didn’t mind going to) that was an 8+. I will have to keep working to achieve that.

I know the job market.
mmm

1. I’m a freelancer in a field that doesn’t look likely to disappear in the next 20 years. While I’m not going to stay in the company for which I currently work they’re a client, not an employer, and I’ve got very little difficulty finding clients.

I may become an employee at some point between here and retirement, if an offer looks good enough. There’s some of my former clients I wouldn’t have minded staying with, others which were nice companies but the location not so good for me, and many that I was soooo glad to leave. The current one is going to be in the third group.

I recently interviewed for a permanent in-house position and I was rejected after a “technical interview” which had me thinking “if that’s what you think of as an appropriate question, I don’t want to work for you!”. That was two months ago. They’re still advertising for it.

ETA: I think it’s funny that some of us self-employed rate it as 10 and some as 0.

Add “and with my degree” between the words “age” and “no” and here I am.

Technically I’m a 0 as I’m employed under a ‘casual’ award: means that my job can be terminated with zero notice for any reason at all.

Practically though, I think I’m a 7. I’ve been with the company now for nearly 10 years and the company is expanding its market scope. Unless the world were to plunge into a major economic depression, or I were to behave very VERY badly, I think I’ll see out my working life here. I’m 58 now and have about another 10 working years to go.

Hmm hard to say. I’ve been in software engineering for 16 years and have never been anywhere more than 4 years. I either get laid off or get lured somewhere better, especially when things are looking dicey… The company I work for now requires custom software but at it’s heart is not a software company and is pretty big and stable. I actually feel more secure in that than some place like Facebook, or a startup. Knowing the system here is every bit as difficult as knowing the technology around it so you could not replace me with a kid off the street without significant risk. Id give it an 8 out of 10 and that’s about 3 points higher than anywhere else I’ve been.

A 10, I guess.

I’m a self-employed lawyer, and as long as I can fulfill the cost of my license every year, plus the insurance, and continuing professional development requirements; I’m good. If I decide to retire, it’s my decision, nobody else’s.

Definitely a 10.

I code autonomous vehicle software, have a couple of engineering degrees with the right words on them, a (mumble, mumble) clearance, and we’re about to integrate my software with a neural net. In a few months, I may be able to legitimately add artificial intelligence experience to my resume.

Add a fully vested and maxed out pension that includes retiree healthcare, and I’m probably the most relaxed guy in the workforce anywhere.

Probably 10. I work at a small local diner and I love them and they love me. I’d have to do something pretty bad to get fired.

A year ago I would’ve said 8. Today, about a 4. I work for a county government where, a few months ago, they either fired or forced retirement on over 10% of our staff. In one fell swoop. One person had worked here almost 40 years, many had 20 years in. Some, like me, have costly medical issues (we’re self-insured). The anxiety is strong.

About an 8. I work for a city government so there’s always the possibility of some political drama, but I’ve been here for 18 years. It would take an economic crisis to endanger my position.

Apparently, I’m a solid 10. God knows I’ve tried to get reprimanded, censured, talked to sternly…
but no one seems to care that I break rules whenever possible, and skip any paperwork I deem pointless.

I mean, come ON, bosses… when have I EVER chosen the company policy over a customer’s needs? Or filled out my TPS forms in a timely manner with copies in triplicate to HR? Okay, I do fill out travel costs form, because I get cash for that.

But if anyone needs help (including me), screw the corporate rules. And I’m still here…

I’m also self-employed, but I lack the hubris to claim a 10.:wink:

Sure, my business has been operating for 18 years now, but I’m one step away from saying “fuck it, I quit” at any time. I’m going with an 8 for this reason.

I’ve been a retail store cashier for five years, which is like forever, so I’d give me a 9. Anything I do to get fired would have to involve fire or blood.

Vested and protected by civil service.

I’d really have to fuck up big time to get canned.

At least 9.
I’m a high school teacher. The job is mine to lose. If keep doing what I’m doing now, improving a bit every year, I’ll retire here.