How secure is YOUR job?

Thanks a lot, California Supreme Court.

http://www.latimes.com/news/asection/20001006/t000095188.html

What’s the point of working hard and earning good reviews and raises in salary?

Well, having just been laid off from my job after more than fourteen years with this company, with a steady pattern of promotions and absolutely consistently outstanding reviews and never a single negative comment or problem, I can say

NOT F***ING VERY.

Notice that I’m stopping here instead of going off on a bitter tirade.

[pats self on back for mature restraint]

Very disturbing. Oh and pugluvr sorry about your situ.

My situation is pretty secure (I think), but cygnus looks like there’s a story to tell. I’m hoping to see it in the Pit. Cygnus, how about it?

Oops, that who I meant, …

lousy friggin brain of mine

And there you go.

Slam the unions all you want, but when it comes to situations like that, I’m glad I pay my dues.

I work for a large company, and in any normal year, some parts of the company are hiring, some parts are laying people off. About six years ago I transferred to a part of the company that was absolutely stable. No way I was going to ever get laid off or downsized.

It was the worst job I ever had. I lasted about six months before transferring out again. It was then I decided there are worse things in this world than getting laid off.

My sympathies to you cygnus, but a word of encouragement as well – with a good record like yours you should be able to find a better job quickly. Good luck. I hope your new job is better than your old one and that, at some point, you can tell them so.

What job…?

My initial reaction is “So what?”. The employee has the option to leave his employer at any time (barring a contract), why should the employer not have basically the same option? My workplace view of myself is as a commodity. So long as my employment is mutually beneficial all is fine. If my services are worth more to another company I should be free to go. If my services are no longer seen as valuable to my current employer they should not have to continue paying for them. The company did not, as we say in the South, “take me to raise” . The days of “40 years and a gold watch” are long gone.

It’s not just talking out my as* here, either. As recently as 3 weeks ago my company let go 5% of our total workforce, all in the same middle management ranks as I. Until the day the cuts were announced in my area I had no idea whether I would have a job here or not. Some very good workers were let go. I survived that round just as I have survived dozens of restructures and mergers before. Make no mistake, though, my resume was up-to-date and my contact list was current, ranked by preference and close at hand.

My views are probably colored by spending my entire life in an emplyment-at-will state, but I don’t see anything inherently wrong with that system. I simply look at it as the game of life.

Now that I have said all that, I’m about to begin a several week hiatus from the boards due to the demands of my post restructure job and likely will not be able to defend my views. Feel free, however, to flame me in my absence!

Yeah, cygnus, this is an employees’ market, so milk it for all it’s worth.

I have to confess my husband was fired for a transparently trumped-up reason, after six years of excellent reviews and raises at the same company. The real reason: he was 49 years old and made more money than his colleagues, and the company wanted to maintain their image that “we never lay people off.” Right. They just lie about why they’re firing your ass. Well, it all turned out okay, which is why I’m telling you this. He got a better job at a better company and we moved to an exciting and prosperous area. I don’t blame you for being bitter; we still are, after a year, even though he likes this new job better. It truly bites to be treated like that after working so hard. Really, tell us your story and get it off your chest.

My mantra about my company: “It’s not a democracy; it’s not my family.” I’m hoping it will keep me from getting too involved emotionally at work.

Thanks to all who made kind and sympathetic remarks about my sudden unemployment…

I have (mostly) passed the depressed point, gone through the rage and despising everyone in that building passageway, and am now trying to dredge up some energy to start the (sigh) endlessly depressing job search. I know it’s supposed to be an employee’s market out there, but it’s still a rather scary proposition, especially when you haven’t been there in a while. Plus, when I dropped out of college 'way back then, it didn’t matter and never stood in my way as I was able to progress steadily based strictly on my abilities. Now, though, practically no one looking to work in a field that doesn’t require a hairnet is without a degree; hell, lots of people working in a hairnet have degrees. And I’m not disparaging the service sector (been there too); I’m just saying that I feel at a distinct disadvantage. Want to give an opinion or a personal experience? How big an obstacle do you think it will be? How should I best position that glaring lack? My last position had a degree as one of the requirements in the job description, but the person who hired/promoted me was familiar with my work in the previous position and just shrugged at it. I won’t have that advantage going out on cold interviews. And I can’t afford to take a significant pay cut if I expect to keep the home I worked so hard to get into. (pats humble plaster wall next to the desk with genuine love)

Incidentally, FYI, going back to school is unfortunately not a fincially feasible option now, nor am I close enough to a degree for it to make a difference anytime soon even if I did. Besides, I just don’t have the spirit for it.

cygnus, back in May(they told us in April, but paid us until May) I was laid off from a 4-year job-I know it’s not 14 years, but was still kind of a shock to have it happen. I had worked my way up, until I was poised to have a high level position. ALL field personnel were laid off at the same time. In a publicly traded company, it would have taken a CPA to get to the point I had gotten to by working my way up, if I had gone that route right out of school(I have a history degree).

But-I knew that I loved the area I had moved into, and sent out resumes to those jobs. The one I got(started the end of May, 18 days after my last check), was a position where an accounting degree was highly desireable, but the work experience got me the job.

So, don’t take the fact that you don’t have a degree as a reason not to send your resume to jobs that say they want one. If you have good references and a solid work history, that really does mean a lot more than having a degree. Take the chance on sending it to an ideal job-you may not get it, but then again, you might. Go to an employment agency in your field if necessary-they have contacts that you might not.

And don’t be afraid to take your time, and really find the right job. Unless you can’t pay for essentials, don’t jump at the first offer because it is an offer. Unemployment is there for a reason(though it wouldn’t have even paid one month’s rent for me).

I don’t mean to go on with the things you have probably heard/read a thousand times already. Sorry it happened, sweetie(I call everyone that). I know it sucks.

My boss keeps telling me " You know Ang… as long as these people (refering to the people who work for me) keep making the mistakes they make… you and I will always have a job!"

I feel pretty secure that if that is true, I will always have a job :slight_smile: