What did Jefferson and Bonaparte think of each other?

When Jefferson became president, he had just spent the past 12 years fighting the rest of the Washington and Adams administrations over foreign relations with France and Britain, the war between those two, and the French Revolution. Only to see Bonaparte declare himself emperor during Jefferson’s first term. They did business with each other, something that had to do with Louisiana… But what did they personally think of each other?

Beethoven was disgusted with Napoleon’s imperial betrayal of the revolution’s ideals and erased his name from the dedication on the manuscript of his Sinfonia Eroica. Bonus question: What did Beethoven and Jefferson think of each other?

I found on this page a letter by Jefferson where he speaks about Bonaparte.

Seems he didn’t had a very high opinion of him…

Keep in mind that Napoleon’s first three years in power (as consul, not as emperor) were nothing but a headache for Jefferson and his Democratic-Republican Party. The Adams administration had been fighting an undeclared naval war with France under the corrupt Directory which governed from 1795 through 1799. After Napoleon overthrew the Directory, he moved to end the war and concluded the Convention of Montfortaine with the Adams administration in 1800.

The Convention was favorable to the United States and allowed Adams to present the war as a victory when he ran for reelection. Then, after Jefferson defeated Adams anyway, Napoleon began winding down the French Revolutionary Wars, secured the retrocession of Louisiana from Spain, and prepared to mount an expedition to reoccupy Haiti and New Orleans. The Jefferson administration warned that the latter would mean war.

So, from Jefferson’s point of view, Napoleon had made peace with the Federalists and was now threatening war on the Republicans. Small wonder that Jefferson regarded Napoleon’s original coup d’etat of 1799 as the betrayal of revolutionary ideals, not his later coronation as Emperor!

I’ve never read what Napoleon thought of individual American leaders. He undoubtedly had an opinion, since he had an opinion on everything, so maybe some more knowledgeable people can provide it. But I do know that Napoleon liked the United States in general. After the Louisiana Purchase the US and France were pretty much de facto allies through the Napoleonic Wars and the War of 1812, and Napoleon wanted to go into exile in the United States after Waterloo. The British, of course, had other ideas.

One branch of the family did go to the U.S. Napoleon’s grand-nephewCharles Bonaparte was Secretary of the Navy and Attorney General under Teddy Roosevelt.

Further research informs me that that is not quite what I thought it was. Jerome Bonaparte (Charles’ father) was born to the American wife of Jerome (Napoleon’s brother), and was raised in the U.S after the anullment of the marriage.