What did/would you name your kid?

It was also the name of the baby Counselor Troi had temporarily.
(I’m a bigger geek obviously)
-Lil

My son’s name was originally supposed to be the long forms of my father’s name (Allen) and my SO’s father’s name (Jerry), which would have made it Alexander Jeremiah. That was a mouthful to say and seemed a bit pretentious, so my SO picked a shorter first name (Nathan, which happened to be the middle name of a mutual good friend) and we put Alexander as the middle name. Only bad thing is now his initials are NAD.

My SO came up with my daughter’s name out of the blue (Kala). Turns out it’s a Hindi name and also the name of Tarzan’s ape mother (though with the emphasis on the first syllable). Since my SO’s family is Irish we wanted an Irish sounding middle name and my SO thought of Shea. That sounded masculine to me to I reversed the last two letters to Shae (which also shares the first three letters with my SO’s first name). Her name rolls right off the tongue, though nearly everybody mispronounces her first name (even grandparents to this day!)

Ok here I go. Both my and Deadeye’s mom’s name begin with the letter M. So how cute to name all the kids with M.

Matthew Berend- Matthew, nice popular name, Berend is a family name. Me, my dad, my grandfather, great grandfather, gggf and ggggf had the name. Ggggf was a bastard so we do not know if his father had the name. BTW he is Deadeye

Megan Jean- Megan sounded nice. Jean is my mom’s middle name and we figured that that was a good thing to continue doing.

Mackenzie Lee- All the first names are just M names that sound nice. Lee is my mother in law’s middle name.

Megan and Mackenzie are twins. They were assigned their names because we always talked about “Megan and Mackenzie” before they were born. The first one they grabbed(it was a C-section birth) was Meg therefore she got the name. Seven years later I think we chose wisely.

Madison Anne- Anne is Deadeye’s Mom’s middle name.

Melynn Grace- Grace is a name that is common in both of our families. Great grandmothers and all. Deadeye and I usually call her Gracie.

Kyle Anthony … I used to babysit for a little boy named Brandon Kyle. I loved him, so I named my son Kyle. Kyle’s middle name was picked by stormchaser.

Kelli Renee … I love the her middle name, my mom suggested Kelli.
Emily Nicole… Before she was born, we had decided on Katherine Megan, to be called Kate, but when she was born, she didn’t look like a Kate. We both liked Emily, so there she was.

My daughter is Meghan Casey. All of my immediate family had gaelic names plus my grandmother, great grandmother and my aunt all have the name Margaret so Meghan seeemed like she got to have her own name while still carrying on the family tradition. I must have been living in a hole to not realise that everyone and her sister is now named megan. Casey was for my father who’s initials were K C.

If i had another daughter I would go for Alice i think. For a boy maybe Dean or Blake.

Mr. Gazer and I decided before we were engaged that if we ever have a boy child, his name will be Thomas Aaron, after our maternal grandfathers. Classic but not overly-popular (at least, not right now).

We’re still fighting over girls’ names (not that there’s any rush) – I looooove the name Ella Catherine, but he isn’t sold on the name Ella. Makes him think of the singer, which I don’t think is a bad thing. And it’ll only make him think of the singer until his daughter’s born, I figure.

If I can’t get him to come around on Ella, we do agree on Nora Catherine. None of these girls’ names have any significance other than the fact that we like them. Well, the fact that I like them. :slight_smile:

If we have more than one of each, I don’t know what we’ll do!

Probably should mention the names I like for kids. I doubt I’ll ever have any, but I’m content to parcel out my favorite ones to characters in my stories.

Boys:
Ian
Stephen
Peter
William(but not Bill)
Robin(though I’m cooling off on this one, he might have to have his name changed.
Colin
Andrew
Ben
The last two are my brother’s names, but I really like them.

Girls:
Katherine(love, love this name, and Kate, and Kat, and everything.

Ann(a good friend spells her name this way, I’d always seen it with the e at the end, but I love the name) also Anna

Emma(I’ve always loved this name, but it’s so popular right now, I’d be hesitant to use it)

Lucy(okay, so I have a cat with this name, is that a problem?)

-Lil

I don’t have any kids yet, but i’ve been naming them since i was about 12.

Thomas Joseph

Patrick Gibson

Violet Anne

Elizabeth Anne

(Not that i would have 2 kids with the same middle name, but I just really like Anne with an E ,maybe from too many years of reading the Anne Shirley books.)

When Caterpie is born I have names picked out…

If Caterpie is a girl, Amara Siobhan. A boy, Arthur Duncan. The girls names I’ve just really loved… and the boys names were my fave Grandpa and uncle respectively.

Many years ago I picked Angel Lennon and McCartney Lynne. My husband said “NO!” But I convinced him they were good names, and then promptly decided I didn’t want to have kids.

My daughter’s name is Sage Elizabeth. It is the most beautiful name on earth. :slight_smile:

I like John Rolfe-- after my grandfather-- and Isaac Asher, for boys.

And Roseanna Marie and Emma Lynne, for girls.

Or maybe Crap Nelson.

Happy

I have been waiting for little Ivy Josephine a long time but I don’t think she is going to show up. Neither, it seems, are Theodore Patrick or Molly Louise. I have this stupid rule about having a husband first , and HE never showed up either.

Justin Riley - died before he was born

Joshua Austin - now 11

The girl I never had would’ve been Amanda Kate.

My angel is named Devyn (gaelic for “poet”) Elizabeth (for Elizabeth 1, my fave English monarch) so you see:
Devyn Elizabeth (last name withheld because it’s my ex’s and I hate him)

Nathaniel for a boy, Roxanne for a girl. If I had a second son or daughter, maybe Alexander and Vanessa.

Rose.

Many reasons. My wife and I both have Roses in our families (OLD Roses). Rose works with almost all ethnic groups…including Jewish and Irish, which we are.

Also, the rose is the second half of the great Grateful Dead symbology. I used to joke that if we ever had a son, we’d name him Skeleton. However…

Quinn.

Irish Gaelic name meaning “wise.” I had an uncle named Quentin, which we discarded because we were afraid people would think we appreciated Quentin Tarantino. But we liked the idea of a “Q” name.

Also commemorative of the time his daddy yelled “Quinn the Eskimo!” at a Grateful Dead concert encore back in the early '90s (daddy was not given to yelling aloud at Dead shows), and the band actually played “Quinn the Eskimo.”

Rose and Quinn both have their Mom’s last name as a middle name.

I may actually be given a child this spring. If I am, I’d go with Emmett Martin (my maternal grandfather’s name) if it’s a boy or Mary Claire if it’s a girl. Unless I go with Mary Katherine.

StG

I always liked the name “Aspen Renee” for a girl, but my mother said that’d be cruel. They’d call her “ass”. Kids can be mean sometimes.

Doesn’t matter though, since I’m not having any kids of my own anyway.

Kalynda Rhiannon - first name means “beautiful isle.” As for the middle name…well, what can I say? Stevie Nicks is a goddess.

Judith Krista - Named after the women on “Challenger.”

If we ever have a son, then I am partial to Padriac. But the wife gets final choice for any boys.