What do/did you call your grandparents?

My German grandparents were Oma and Opa, and my mom is Omi to her grandchildren. On the American side, it was Granny and Grandpa Lastname.

Maternal – Nana & Papa/Poppa
Paternal – Grandma & Grandpa

My parents and in-laws are thinking about what they want their grandparent names to be, since we’re expecting our first baby this fall – my mom’s already chosen Gram-Gram (which was her paternal grandmother’s name), but no one else has staked any claims yet.

Maternal: Mormor & Morfar
Paternal: Farmor & Farfar

Both sets: Grandma and Pappap.

My mother’s parents were both dead long before I was born. My paternal grandfather also was dead before I came along. I called my paternal grandmother “Grandma Sloan” – although all of my cousins called her “Mammy.” Yes, this is the South. My mother’s great-aunt was always “Grandma Weinke” – she reared her sister’s children and they called her “momma” so their kids (my mother and her sisters) called her “grandma” it stuck.

My kids called my dad (when he was still alive, well and still…) “Papa”, they call my husband’s real father “Grandpa Benny”, his mother “Grandma”, his great-grandmother “Granita” (what he always called her – short for Grandma Juanita), his ex-stepdad “Poppy” and his mother’s current husband “Papa Brown” Yeh, we have a very strange family.

Maternal: first names
Paternal: Mammaw and Pappaw

I always called both sets Grandma and Grandpa. Since they didn’t live near each other, I don’t remember them ever being in the same room for there to be confusion. If I was talking to my parents I would say, “Grandpa Lastname” to indicate which grandpa I meant. It is the same for my son.

Grandma and grandpa. The last name added if you needed to distinguish between two.

I only heard nana maybe 10 years ago, and hate it. It sounds like the kid want’s a banna.

Paternal-Grandma and Grandpa

Maternal-Mammaw and PapPap

My maternal grandmother was “MaMa” to me. But she was there in the first year of my life with my mom, as my dad was overseas in WWII. My maternal grandfather was “Pop.” Don’t really know why.

My paternal grandmother was “grandma.” My paternal grandfather was dead before I was born.

Maternal g-mother: Na-Na (which we pronounce as in “Sha-na-na” instead of the more tradiational “Nana.” I don’t know why.)
Paternal g-mother: Grandma Ann, which got slurred into Gramman

I had a friend who called her grandmother “Panda” which I always thought was cute.

Paternal: Grandma and Grandfather (yes I know, it’s inconsistent)
Maternal: Nan and Pop (or Nanny and Poppy when we were very small).

Maternal grandmother: GaGa. It was my babytalk for “grandma.”
Paternal: Papa and Nana (Nah-Nah)

I remember only two of my grandparents.

Maternal grandfather: Gar
Maternal grandmother: Mimi

I never knew either of my paternal grandparents. Interestingly, my older sibs who do remember them always refer to them as Grandmother and Grandfather Lastname. They always looked so stern in all the family photos, I can believe they were never called anything else.

Maternal: Nana and Grandpa Snazzy, because he was such a snazzy dresser.

Maternal : Nana* and Pop Pop. (my mother called her grandfather Pop, and he was stilll alive when I was little, so my grandfather became Pop Pop to differentiate.)

Paternal : don’t remember what I called my grandmother, she died when I was very young, and my grandfather died before I was born.
*Growing up, we were the only family I knew that used Nana for a grandmother. All my friends thought it was weird. I nearly freaked the first time I heard it on TV.

All four of mine died before I was born (jolly unsporting of them), but other children in my family get to use, variously, Fardie, Pa, and Pop for the men, and Nanna and Safta for the women. Comes from having Aussie, Scots, and Jewish influences, I guess. 'tis all good.

Forgot the Asian side of the family…

Ba and Ong for grandma and grandpa, respectively.

My father’s mother (living in England, just had her 100th birthday!) was Granny

My mother’s mother was ‘Gaba’ or sometimes Gramma or Gramma P.

Both grandfathers died before any of my siblings were old enough to talk much I think… if they ever came up I kinduv think that dad’s father was Granpa and mom’s father was Grampa or Grandfather.

:slight_smile:

Grandmere and Grandpere. That terminology was conceived during the “We’re French!” fallacy. Grandmere liked the idea of being French, and since she was adopted, she sort of filled in the blanks to suit her whim.

She did meet her father when she was an adult, but I don’t think they discussed the whole French thing.